Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2014 | 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down Response from Chevy

Here is my last response from Chevy. Of course, no offer to help in any way. Another $500 "fix."

"Hello,

Thank you for your patience as we resolved this concern. I spoke with your dealership, and Rich stated the issue was the plug in to the computer terminals. We are unable to provide cost assistance for this repair due to the age and mileage of the vehicle and the required disconnection of a non-GM component; however, if any concerns should arise again, please let us know.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care"
Old May 1st, 2014 | 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Here we go again. Driving to work this morning, this all started happening again.
Old May 1st, 2014 | 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default This problem is also something I'm dealing with

Hello All!

This problem first happened to me right after thanksgiving of 2013. It was about 6pm and as I was pulling back into my driveway my car started idling very rough and erratic. The vehicle display read "Engine Power Reduced. Service Traction. ESC Off." I didn't kno what to think so I immediately shut the car off. I started my car up again after lettin it sit for about 10 minutes and it ran fine again but the "check engine light" was still on. The next day I was headed to work and it happened again while driving on the interstate. The same message popped up on the display and the car lost power. I had to pull over so not to be a nuisance for other drivers. After a few minutes I started the car up and I was able to make it to a nearby dealership. When I got the dealership the car was running fine of course. I left it running as I ran inside to get a tech. He came outside and seen the "check engine light" on. He brought out the scanner and said that it was something with the throttle body. My car was still idling fine. As he was about to go bk inside the rough and erratic idling started again. He didn't kno what to think of it but he told me that if I wanted a thorough diagnosis to bring my car back the next day. We also looked up my warranty plan which had expired at 35000, my cars mileage was jus under 75000 so I knew whatever the problem was that I was going to have to pay for it on my own. I started my car and it ran fine for the next few days without any problems. I noticed that the "check engine light" had gone off. "Maybe the problem fixed itself" I thought but then it happen again. I finally had some spare cash to get it check out and so I took it to a repair shop and explained everything that happened. They could reproduce the problem for 4 days. They reset the computer and the problem went away for a few months. The problem is now back again and worse than before. It seems to happen every time I lift my foot off the gas pedal. I can accelerate but as I let my foot up to maintain speed, my car loses power and I have to pull off to the side and wait. I have become accustomed to leaving early in anticipation of it happening so that I have extra time to pull off the road and let my car sit. It sucks to have such a great looking car but it can't even run properly. I'm currently unemployed and am having enuf difficulty paying my monthly payment. And still no one has a definite solution for the problem. I've owned my '10 malibu since I bot it brand new and it does feel like a throttle problem. I'm tempted to have that replaced but the quote I got was $500. After reading greenfield's post not I'm not sure if I should replace it. Could jus be a waste of cash. If so many people are having this problem, Chevy needs to step up and fix this problem for loyal Chevy owners. I have another appt for my vehicle this coming Monday for diagnosis. We'll see what happens.
Old May 1st, 2014 | 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cruiser2014
Hello All!

This problem first happened to me right after thanksgiving of 2013. It was about 6pm and as I was pulling back into my driveway my car started idling very rough and erratic. The vehicle display read "Engine Power Reduced. Service Traction. ESC Off." I didn't kno what to think so I immediately shut the car off. I started my car up again after lettin it sit for about 10 minutes and it ran fine again but the "check engine light" was still on. The next day I was headed to work and it happened again while driving on the interstate. The same message popped up on the display and the car lost power. I had to pull over so not to be a nuisance for other drivers. After a few minutes I started the car up and I was able to make it to a nearby dealership. When I got the dealership the car was running fine of course. I left it running as I ran inside to get a tech. He came outside and seen the "check engine light" on. He brought out the scanner and said that it was something with the throttle body. My car was still idling fine. As he was about to go bk inside the rough and erratic idling started again. He didn't kno what to think of it but he told me that if I wanted a thorough diagnosis to bring my car back the next day. We also looked up my warranty plan which had expired at 35000, my cars mileage was jus under 75000 so I knew whatever the problem was that I was going to have to pay for it on my own. I started my car and it ran fine for the next few days without any problems. I noticed that the "check engine light" had gone off. "Maybe the problem fixed itself" I thought but then it happen again. I finally had some spare cash to get it check out and so I took it to a repair shop and explained everything that happened. They could reproduce the problem for 4 days. They reset the computer and the problem went away for a few months. The problem is now back again and worse than before. It seems to happen every time I lift my foot off the gas pedal. I can accelerate but as I let my foot up to maintain speed, my car loses power and I have to pull off to the side and wait. I have become accustomed to leaving early in anticipation of it happening so that I have extra time to pull off the road and let my car sit. It sucks to have such a great looking car but it can't even run properly. I'm currently unemployed and am having enuf difficulty paying my monthly payment. And still no one has a definite solution for the problem. I've owned my '10 malibu since I bot it brand new and it does feel like a throttle problem. I'm tempted to have that replaced but the quote I got was $500. After reading greenfield's post not I'm not sure if I should replace it. Could jus be a waste of cash. If so many people are having this problem, Chevy needs to step up and fix this problem for loyal Chevy owners. I have another appt for my vehicle this coming Monday for diagnosis. We'll see what happens.
So what codes did they pull? You didn't say.

This starting on Thursday at 6pm on thanksgiving is irrelevant ... Unless all boo's were programmed to have this issue then.

So you've refused service on your vehicle yet want it fixed by GM for free. COOL.
Old May 2nd, 2014 | 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

The first code that came up was P1516 which is defined as Throttle Actuator Control Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance. The second one was P2135 and is defined as Throttle Position Sensor 1-2 Correlation.

And to clear things up, I'm not asking GM to fix my ride for free. I'm simply asking for guidance as to which part(s) to replace to fix the problem. I'm more than willing to pay, I jus don't want to waste cash replacing parts that aren't the cause of the problem.

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
So what codes did they pull? You didn't say.

This starting on Thursday at 6pm on thanksgiving is irrelevant ... Unless all boo's were programmed to have this issue then.

So you've refused service on your vehicle yet want it fixed by GM for free. COOL.
Old May 15th, 2014 | 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Looks like this may be tied to some of the problems listed here....

GM announces new recall of 3 million vehicles - May. 15, 2014
Old May 15th, 2014 | 9:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by sd1097
Looks like this may be tied to some of the problems listed here....

GM announces new recall of 3 million vehicles - May. 15, 2014
I wish it would, but I read the report and it doesn't seem to cover the problem we've been discussing here and on the Imapla forum.
Don't know if it will help, but today I sent an EMail to the Associated Press (AP) about this problem and included links to the posts in this and the Imapla forums about the problem. I also included links to the NHTSA web site and all the complaints there. It appears the problem covers 2008-2011 Impalas, Malibus, and some Equinoxes. I also mentioned how complaints to GM were responded to with something like "it's not a problem." I stressed that any recall should include reprogramming the computer to eliminate the full, no warning, shutdown.
Maybe some media coverage will get GM's attention???
Old May 16th, 2014 | 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down Here we go again

I am reposting in this thread:

Thanks Jimk. Well, on my lunch break today, lo and behold, it all happened again. Reduced engine power, car shaking violently, traction control light, check engine light, the whole bit. I am dropping it off to the dealer tonight-the one who last claimed to have fixed it. We will see what happens. It doesn't matter how many times they "fix" it, I am driving a death trap. How did you email the AP? Maybe it would help if I did as well. My case seems to be one of the most constantly recurring situations I have seen-this will make number 8.
Old May 17th, 2014 | 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default Replaced Parts So Far?

What have you replaced so far? I have the same issue, so far I replaced the throttle body with no luck, the problem came back the same day..
Originally Posted by greenfield3
I am reposting in this thread:

Thanks Jimk. Well, on my lunch break today, lo and behold, it all happened again. Reduced engine power, car shaking violently, traction control light, check engine light, the whole bit. I am dropping it off to the dealer tonight-the one who last claimed to have fixed it. We will see what happens. It doesn't matter how many times they "fix" it, I am driving a death trap. How did you email the AP? Maybe it would help if I did as well. My case seems to be one of the most constantly recurring situations I have seen-this will make number 8.
Old May 17th, 2014 | 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Reply to lowman about parts replaced so far

Hi there, so far, I have had the gas pedal sensor, throttle body, ECM, and all of the connectors to the ECM replaced, and the problem still exists. The car is sitting at the dealership now waiting to be looked at Monday. No matter what they do to fix the car, I don't know how I can ever feel safe-how will I know it is fixed? I hope your issue is fixed more easily-take care, and be safe.

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!