Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2014, 8:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey greenfield3, we haven't seen any more posts from you for almost 2 weeks. Does this mean that last fix finally fixed it? Sure hope so!
Old June 16th, 2014, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine reduced power

I almost died today. Car lunged forward at a major interception, then light came on "engine reduced power" and the car died, no warning! Two cars almost hit me and I had to push my car off the road wearing high heels. Stepped in a pot hole and sprained my ankle. Finally got my car to crank and was a nervous wreck to get it to the dealership with it lunging every time I had to take off. Dealership charged $100 an hour because, of course, it's out of warranty. They found it is from a clogged drain line in the sunroof caused an overflow and got the electrical connector to get wet. $499! And I almost died from this! I've read so many similar stories on this issue. Where is the recall??
I'll never buy another chevy, aka DEATH TRAP again!!
Old June 16th, 2014, 9:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tsm1967
I almost died today. Car lunged forward at a major interception, then light came on "engine reduced power" and the car died, no warning! Two cars almost hit me and I had to push my car off the road wearing high heels. Stepped in a pot hole and sprained my ankle. Finally got my car to crank and was a nervous wreck to get it to the dealership with it lunging every time I had to take off. Dealership charged $100 an hour because, of course, it's out of warranty. They found it is from a clogged drain line in the sunroof caused an overflow and got the electrical connector to get wet. $499! And I almost died from this! I've read so many similar stories on this issue. Where is the recall??
I'll never buy another chevy, aka DEATH TRAP again!!
I must say I am entirely impressed with another 1st time poster who managed to put up a picture on their profile. even though they almost died today.

Took me a few weeks to bother with that stuff.

My hats off to you all.
Old June 28th, 2014, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

I guess I am truly a member of this infamous club. My Chevy 2010 Malibu with 40,000 miles is currently sitting in my driveway. Every time I start the car, I receive the "Engine reduced Power". I can not even move the car 1 foot. Considering how so many of you have experienced this on the highway, I am thankful that problem is occurring in my driveway. Car was running very well. Went on vacation, and when I returned 6 days later, the "Engine reduced Power" warning message was on display. I did have rain leakage inside the car on each side of my front windows. Perhaps I have a clogged drain and similar issue as posted by tsm1967.
Old June 28th, 2014, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

My 2010 Malibu with 40k miles started leaking on both window pillars. I then read a post by TSM1967 in which they received the "Engine Reduce Power" problem" as a result of their leakage which caused a connector problem. Has anyone else encountered a window pillar leakage which lead to a faulty connector? If yes, could you let us know which connector was faulty?
Old June 28th, 2014, 9:46 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi jamicucci,

I understand that you are experiencing some difficulties with your Malibu leaking on your window pillars. I am not a certified technician, but I will like to take a further look into your concern. Feel free to send us a private message referencing this thread if any extra help is needed. I look forward to helping with your concern!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 30th, 2014, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi jamicucci,

I understand that you are experiencing some difficulties with your Malibu leaking on your window pillars. I am not a certified technician, but I will like to take a further look into your concern. Feel free to send us a private message referencing this thread if any extra help is needed. I look forward to helping with your concern!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Not sure how if this is how to send a private message. If not, can someone assist me on how to send a private message?
Old July 1st, 2014, 7:26 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi jamicucci,

To send us a private message, you may click on our username "Chevrolet Customer Service" and there is an option to send us a private message. We look forward to assisting!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by jamicucci
Not sure how if this is how to send a private message. If not, can someone assist me on how to send a private message?
Old July 14th, 2014, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimK
Hey greenfield3, we haven't seen any more posts from you for almost 2 weeks. Does this mean that last fix finally fixed it? Sure hope so!
Hello there! So far, I have not had issues for a couple of months. This last time, here is what they did:
1. Built new wire harness from the throttle body to the ECM with new wires and terminals on both ends to rule out any intermittent wiring or terminal issues.
2. Replace throttle body assembly.
3. Drove 155 miles with no faults.

The dealership did not charge me for these repairs as they genuinely wanted to make things right, and they were very courteous. I am happy to say that I have had no issues for 2 months, however, we will not be driving this car on any road trips. This problem has happened so many times and at random intervals-sometimes months apart, so I don't know how to be sure it won't happen again, so I just can't risk a long trip. I hope this information helps.
Old July 18th, 2014, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

<hr size="1" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I have been having the same problem with my 2008 Malibu. I was told it was my catalytic converter???

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!