Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2014, 5:17 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuler04
<hr style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" size="1"><!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I have been having the same problem with my 2008 Malibu. I was told it was my catalytic converter???
Have you already scheduled repairs to have your catalytic converter replaced, Shuler04? We're sorry for any difficulty you've experienced with your vehicle. The catalytic converter does have special warranty coverage, so send us your VIN and mileage if we can look into this for you.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 25th, 2014, 1:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power failure

This same thing has happened to me. First time I was out in the middle of nowhere and the reduced power light came on... Steering went out and almost wrecked trying to get off the road because of a semi behind me and there was no shoulder to go off on. I had no cell service due to the rural location I was traveling. My air conditioner stopped working and mind you I had my two small children in the car with me in 100° weather. My car would not go over 10 mph. The next city was 60 miles away. I was in deep trouble. No house in site and no drinks in the car. Got to the next little town and no dealership in site but found an O'rielly's... They checked the code and it was P1221 and P1120 and P1515. So they had a man come and replace all of the throttle sensors and casings for me in the parking lot. Small towns still do this sort of stuff for people. I was very lucky as I was still a long ways from home. It ran perfect for one day and got me home... Then the next day I was on the freeway and it happened again!!! Steering gets stiff on my traction light came on and then reduced power engine light.. I nearly wrecked trying to get to the shoulder! I called O'rielly's in the area and told them what happened and they sent a person out to me to clear the codes. I was on my way again... Everything worked perfectly... When I got almost home it happened again. I was able to make it home that evening and O'rielly's replaced the parts with new ones.. We had them put in and the suburban ran perfectly for 3 weeks and again!!!! I was driving in town this time thank God no kids in the car with me and I went straight to O'rielly's and getting new parts again today... We were suppose to leave for vacation tomorrow to go to Washington to visit family and now guess that our vacation is ruined!! Chevy dealership told me today they can't help me because O'rielly's cleared the code to get me home!!! The Chevy dealership is an hour from where I live and they said until it acts up again they can't find the problem. I can't drive 10 miles an hour for 60 miles it would take forever!! I am so upset!! Vacation is cancelled and I have lost faith in my vehicle. Thanks Chevy

Last edited by culpepper1111; July 25th, 2014 at 1:48 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 7:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default i have had this problem

I stopped at Burger King and started my car, it said engine power reduced, service traction, ESC off. Not to mention the engine was shaking so bad that it felt like it was going to fall straight out the bottom :/ it wouldn't go any faster than 5 miles an hour so I stopped and let it set for a minute without the engine running, started it and everything was fine. But I want to know what went wrong.
Old September 21st, 2014, 2:32 AM
CF Beginner

my dad's car have the same problem .. we took it the dealer in saudi arabia( which is Aljomaeh ) so they said we have to run a computer check ,, it took them 10 days just to run a computer test ! after that they told me it the actuator exh vlv 10-11 , DTC CKP , CMP CORRELATION , EX CAM POSITION PERF
( which i dont know what the heck are they !)
and they would charge me about 2,000 $ just to fix it AND that will not include the parts they may replace !!! WTF !

so I took the car to repair shop and they run a computer test and gave the same results ! and they told me i should fix it immediately and tey asked me to buy from the dealer this part #12621505 . so i did

after three days they told me it ready and i got back to them to get the car ... BUT after two hour driving the same message appears " eng pwr reduce + traction control off + srv ESC "

so what am i supposed to do it been almost a month and the car is still at the repair shop ! i cant use it i cant sell it and i cant just leave it like this !

and what about the dealer who wanted to charge me for somthing that will not fix my car ??

( sorry for the long post )
Old October 18th, 2014, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 chevy cruze engine power reduced

My 2012 chevy cruze has a light on saying its engine power has been reduced. Ive turned off and on the car let it set and all that but its still there and my transmission jumps when accelerating.
I have 54,365 miles on it and dont know whats wrong. Any advice? Im still financing but the warrenty doesnt cover this.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Greenfield3,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I would like to look into this for you. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, address, and dealership. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 20th, 2014, 3:19 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by kbaker8
My 2012 chevy cruze has a light on saying its engine power has been reduced. Ive turned off and on the car let it set and all that but its still there and my transmission jumps when accelerating.
I have 54,365 miles on it and dont know whats wrong. Any advice? Im still financing but the warrenty doesnt cover this.
Hey there,

We're very sorry to hear of your engine power concerns. Unfortunately, we are not certified technicians and we're unable to provide technical advice. We'd like to look further into your concern. Please send us a private message with your VIN and more information. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 6th, 2014, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2011 Malibu LTZ and have loved it for two years now...up until about 6 months ago when I started having the same issue that I am now learning so many other Chevy owners are having.

I was luckily driving in town and was not going as fast as other posters, but it is scary and dangerous none the less. I have had my gas pedal replaced two times and it has obviously only pacified the issue. I took it to a friend at a local Chevy dealer who has offered to set me up with a service but I am worried now that I have been reading all of the posts that I will get the same $500 run around with no solution to the real issue.

Obviously I do not have a warranty anymore and this problem is making me sick to my stomach by reading all of the terrible responses from Chevy themselves. Is someone potentially losing their life from this issue worth not fixing the problem in the first place? I'm not a billion dollar corporation like Chevy so $500 going to waste is a big hit for me. Can someone please give some direction for me??
Old November 7th, 2014, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default I got my ride fixed!!!!

Hello everyone,

Jus got my ride finally repaired and its working cherry once again. No more pulling off the side of the road and having to turn my ignition off n on.

I finally saved enough cash to get my ride looked at again. I had taken my car in to get diagnosed and had no luck.. The mechanics couldnt reproduce the problem. Finally about 2 weeks ago I took it back again because it was starting to mess up constantly, instead of periodically like before. There were codes for the throttle body and another for the camshaft. They told me the throttle body was no good so I had to pay for that. They told me that my camshaft had some play in it as it turned while the engine was running and that "play" along with the bad throttle body are both what was contributing to my car acting up and throwing up the Reduced Engine Power/ ESC OFF/ Service Traction messages on the display. Lucky the camshaft work was covered under the powertrain warranty otherwise it wouldve been another $500-$600 more to place thrust washers to eliminate the "play." I've been driving my car now for 2 weeks and have not had the problem happen again. Hopefully my car will continue to run great....Feels awesome to have my ride bk. Hope this can help some of you guys out.
Old November 12th, 2014, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Hhr

[QUOTE=Chevrolet Customer Service;264412]Greenfield3,

Experiencing simar issue with my 2008 HHR. Yes this was a used car but this issue has been happening since it was purchased a little less then a year ago.
Old November 12th, 2014, 1:30 PM
Official GM Rep

[QUOTE=Mielliki;288848]
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Greenfield3,

Experiencing simar issue with my 2008 HHR. Yes this was a used car but this issue has been happening since it was purchased a little less then a year ago.
Please let us know if we can look more into this matter, Mielliki. We recognize this has been a frustrating situation since purchase and we're happy to help in whatever way possible. Feel free to send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and dealership information via private message.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!