Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2014, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Near Fatal Accident due to "REDUCED ENGINE POWER & STABILITRAK ISSUES!!!!

WHERE IS THE RECALL/SOLUTION TO THE 2006 Chevy Tahoe LTZ PROBLEM: This has now become a life threatening issue!

The problem began to occur last winter, the reduced engine power and stabilitrak light would appear, my vehicle would begin to lose power (20-25 mph) and violently shake when I came to a stop.

I read my vehicle's manual and it gave me what I thought would be a solution or at least a temporary fix. I began to blame my situation on the extreme cold weather. The spring came around and the problem persisted occasionally.

1. This fall the problem has become intolerable! So, I brought my vehicle to a reputable mechanic and he told me a temporary fix could be "cleaning the throttle body sensor".
  2. He took it apart and cleaned it properly. I couldn't make it to the airport (20 mins away) without it shutting down on the interstate.
  3. More recently (10 days ago), I went to a different mechanic because I was tired of the embarrassment of driving 20mph on the interstate, the vehicle violently shaking at a red light, and more importantly the vehicle stopping on the interstate while driving at moderate rate of speed (enough to get in fatal accident). He replace 3 parts that supposedly work in conjunction with one another. One part was the "accelerator pedal sensor" and that didn't work. I've been without a vehicle for some time now and no one from this company is giving any answers!!!
Honestly speaking, I love my Tahoe (when it used to work) but this problem has gotten to a point where it could possibly killed me, my family, or someone elses' family and this company hasn't came up with a recall or a solution to this life threatening problem.

I need someone from GM/Chevrolet to give me some answers soon!!!

Wayne Cordova
New Orleans, La

ballcoachdova@gmail.com
Old December 10th, 2014, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Chevy Cruze LT

This just happened to my wife's car last night. Car will not go above 6mph in rush hour traffic. We were told by a mechanic disconnect the battery so computer resets itself, no luck.

She has the power train 100k 5 year warranty. Only has 45k on it. Had it towed to dealership this AM. I would hope if this is a mass issue Chevy stands by their product and covers it. Maybe safety was in mind with this feature, but someone is going to get killed on the freeway, maybe then Chevy will address this issue.
Old December 10th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Many new vehicles have drive by wire systems meaning your foot on the accelerator no longer is connected to a cable that opens and closes the throttle, an electric motor now does that with information send from a accelerator pedal position sensor... if something goes wrong with the system it can go into a safe mode that allows the vehicle to continue to be driving but at a hobbled speed.

I know many folks panic about the slow down and believe somehow its more dangerous than say running out of gas, or an electrical system failure( no spark) a drive shaft u-joint going out or a tire blowing out, transmission failure... they all happen, and often when we least expect it... What makes it dangerous is oblivious drivers... (I have ran out of gas, had a tire let go on I-35 at speed in traffic, and I have lost a couple of transmissions)

Get your vehicle in to the dealership, do go prepared with what symptoms it may have exhibited prior to the incident i.e. had any check engine lights come on and gone back off, had it happen before and just went away...

Please do follow up with what is found so that others may learn from your experience
Old December 10th, 2014, 9:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttsy
This just happened to my wife's car last night. Car will not go above 6mph in rush hour traffic. We were told by a mechanic disconnect the battery so computer resets itself, no luck.

She has the power train 100k 5 year warranty. Only has 45k on it. Had it towed to dealership this AM. I would hope if this is a mass issue Chevy stands by their product and covers it. Maybe safety was in mind with this feature, but someone is going to get killed on the freeway, maybe then Chevy will address this issue.
Hey there,

Very sorry for this! Any updates from the dealership? We look forward to any information that you may have, and we would be happy to assist if necessary. Just send us a private message along with the VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership you have been working with.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 12th, 2014, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Looking for fellow Tahoe owners for Class Action Lawsuit

96,000miles -Traction control light came on, engine light came on, low power mode, strange noise came from engine, later found it was lifters. replaced lifters and approx 12,350 miles later I brought it back with the same problem but this time the lifters and the cam were bad.
was told there was nothing that could be done.
escalated to GM customer service who promised to help, after 3 months of the car being off the road and a run around from GM and the dealer. GM said they were sorry, there is nothing that can be done and they suggested getting a new engine. I replaced the engine at a different dealer at my cost ($7500) and now 7 months later we are back at the dealer with the same symptoms again!!!!! Would you like to join a class action law suit? i am trying to find people with similar situations. email me at shawn.noonan@gmail.com
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default Reduced engine problem

I have a 2004 Yukon with the same problem. We have changed the sensor 2x now along with the whole pedal system. Plus the previous owner had changed either the TPS Sensor or the complete throttle body. We still have the same issue. It seems to run fine for a few weeks or maybe a month then it starts again. Of course GM response to this major problem that they know about is.....TOO BAD keep paying to have it fixed and maybe it will stop. I say the best way to fix the this major problem.....is to trade in your GM POS for a Ford or another NON GM product.
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

good luck......GM wont recall anything unless they are made to by a court room. gotta love how GM stands behind their piece of crap vehicles. For them to recall this issue.....will take a few people to die due it unfortunate
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Administrator

tazman6900 welcome to the forum...
Has the harness assembly running to the throttle body been inspected and checked out? if the connector is damaged it can cause similar issues.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default reduced engine power

Having the same issue just started this morning. We don't have the money to get it fixed or replace the vehicle. So I guess we are screwed. Is there a class action lawsuit already in the works over this issue? Seems to me Chevy shouldn't have these issues. Specially since we already have a faulty airbag system. Lots of dangerous problems with gm products. Spent too much money on a deathtrap.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sully75
Having the same issue just started this morning. We don't have the money to get it fixed or replace the vehicle. So I guess we are screwed. Is there a class action lawsuit already in the works over this issue? Seems to me Chevy shouldn't have these issues. Specially since we already have a faulty airbag system. Lots of dangerous problems with gm products. Spent too much money on a deathtrap.
sully, welcome to the forum...
What year model do you have?
Have you had it evaluated at the dealership? depending on the year model you may be covered under warranty...
but before assuming the worse, have you done some basics like:
Checking the battery and ground cables, they need to be clean and firmly connected at all points.
How old is the battery, has it been checked, low voltage and poor electrical connections are the culprit in many cases.
cleaning the throttle body
making sure the air filter is clean
trying a different gas station to ensure its not a bad tank of gas..

Try resetting the ECM by disconnecting the battery, wait a few minutes and see if the error clears make sure the keys are not in the ignition when disconnecting the battery. If it does clear up this does not mean its fixed, you should at least get it evaluated so you know what potential causes are...

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!