Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2014, 8:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Youseef (November 10th, 2021)
Old May 18th, 2014, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya I am not to sure where to start, I saw one person had some luck with changing some fuses but not to sure which ones.. I have my car at a mechanic shop and they are working closely with GM but no luck yet but I know they are the best. I have to take it to chevy sometime soon for that latest recall, power steering pump ugh so we shall see I will keep you updated if I figure anything new out. Goodluck to you & stay safe! My issues: Service Traction/Service ESC/Engine Power Reduced/Engine Light.. Codes: P2135 & P2176

Originally Posted by greenfield3
Hi there, so far, I have had the gas pedal sensor, throttle body, ECM, and all of the connectors to the ECM replaced, and the problem still exists. The car is sitting at the dealership now waiting to be looked at Monday. No matter what they do to fix the car, I don't know how I can ever feel safe-how will I know it is fixed? I hope your issue is fixed more easily-take care, and be safe.

Last edited by lowman1988; May 18th, 2014 at 9:28 AM.
Old May 21st, 2014, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is my latest update. The Dealership replaced the whole throttle body again as well as some wire connections(I need to find out more specifically which connections). They have driven it for two days and the car is not having the issue. They are not charging us this time. I am very concerned about why the throttle body would need to be replaced again. I have my doubts that anyone knows what the real issue is. I found someone else online who is having this same issue, and it has now happened to him 7 or more times and he has already had the throttle body replaced multiple times. Here is a link to his video of the problem. It is different than the one posted above.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:30 AM
CF Junior Member

FWIW, in my complaints to various agencies including GM, NHTSA, and DOT I have been stressing that what is needed immediately is a re-flash of the cars' computers to eliminate the incompetent, negligent programming that causes an immediate, hard shutdown for an inaccurate sensor. Don't even start me on the fact that it also locks out restarting . . . I think all of us who have experienced this know that once the car is restarted it usually is drive-able, meaning there was not a valid reason to shut down - except for incompetent programming.
Old May 24th, 2014, 10:46 AM
CF Junior Member

greenfield3, if you could find out which connections were the problem that might be a big help. A couple of other posters also mentioned wiring and connections so that may be a clue to the "real" cause. A couple of months ago we got a "service air bag" warning. It cost us $100 for a Chevy dealer to unplug, clean, and re-connect the connector under the passenger seat for the device that senses whether an adult is sitting in that seat or not.
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Default Engine Power Reduced

Hi,
I'm new to this & I'm hoping for any suggestions before I take my car in. I have a 2008 Malibu LT2 with 165,000 miles - runs great until yesterday morning. As I was pulling out to go to work, my car displayed a Engine Power Reduce message, my traction light came on and my car stalled out. I pushed my car into a parking spot and tried to start my car back up which it did but stalled out before I good even put my foot on the brake peddle.
I tried again to start the car, but it just clicked like the battery died. I waited a few minutes and it started & stalled out immediately. There was a very heavy rain storm the night before and I don't know if its a coincidence or water got into something? Any suggestions?
Old May 30th, 2014, 8:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NHTSA Probes 400,000 Ford F-150 Pickups for Reduced Engine Power
Old May 31st, 2014, 5:57 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KarenH
Hi,
I'm new to this & I'm hoping for any suggestions before I take my car in. I have a 2008 Malibu LT2 with 165,000 miles - runs great until yesterday morning. As I was pulling out to go to work, my car displayed a Engine Power Reduce message, my traction light came on and my car stalled out. I pushed my car into a parking spot and tried to start my car back up which it did but stalled out before I good even put my foot on the brake peddle.
I tried again to start the car, but it just clicked like the battery died. I waited a few minutes and it started & stalled out immediately. There was a very heavy rain storm the night before and I don't know if its a coincidence or water got into something? Any suggestions?
Hi KarenH,

Our apologies to hear that your vehicle is displaying the Engine Power Reduced message. I understand that you are seeking advice and opinions from your fellow forum members. However, if any additional assistance is needed, you are welcome to reach out to us via private message here on the site.

Best,

Andraya (assisting Jessica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
The following users liked this post:
Tom54 (July 20th, 2019)
Old June 1st, 2014, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

My brother is having the identical problem with his 2012 Malibu, especially after it has been sitting out in the rain (he does not a have a sunroof). He is not looking for GM to pay for the repair but just some insight as to what could be causing it. This is obviously not a new issue as this entire thread is regarding the same issue and I noticed General motors customer service has offered to assist if the the forum was not able to help and it appears that the forum has been unable to solve it on their own. This is a known issue and I am curious what the GM Customer service representatives tracking this forum have found as I know GM is a great brand and would not just push these concerns off without looking into what is causing it. If anyone could provide additional insight it would be very helpful as I am a diehard General motors owner an I convinced my brother to buy this car to get him back and forth to work.....and now I am the one driving 60 miles a day to help him out.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 4:56 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello Johnnieh,

I am truly sorry your brother is having this concern. We can certainly look into this for him. Please have your brother email us at socialmedia@gm.com. Be sure he includes his name, VIN, mileage, phone number, and Chevrolet dealership name.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!