Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2015 | 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Engine power reduced

This error has occurred several times to me, currently now in my work parking lot, and I have heard from mechanics APP sensor, throttle body position sensor. Nothing has fixed it!! I love Chevy but am very disappointed with this fault.
Old February 28th, 2015 | 12:53 PM
WUG
CF Beginner

There is probably a class action lawsuit to go along with all the rest by now. Are there not GM cars simply shutting off completely. Some people got letters from GM of the recall the week after their loved one driving it had been killed in a crash. I am officially avoiding GM vehicles for the remainder of my days.
Old February 28th, 2015 | 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same Issue

i literally had the same issue moments ago and was browsing the web for the power reduced warning. Bottom line I don't give two ****s about a warranty, this is a very serious life threatening issue with a poorly manufactured part. We were driving down us23 just south of the Michigan border in an area where there was an overpass with no shoulder when it suddenly powered down. Semis behind us struggled to slow down but thankfully were able to. It's never fun seeing a semi barreling right at you with your three year old child sitting in his car seat while that semi comes hurdling at you. Bottom line I understand companies don't like to issue recalls for financial reasons but it's ridiculous when there is such a severe issue that could potentially be a very large lawsuit and an even more painful process for the company. All it takes is one person to have this issue when someone's not paying attention and you've got a very serious life threatening issue. Chevy should be addressing this issue NOW, no charge, regardless warranty.
Old March 3rd, 2015 | 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

We have a 2011 traverse & this same thing happened to me on the way to school. I can't imagine being on the highway!! It's going into the mechanic tomorrow. I don't trust dealerships so just a family owned place. I can not believe that there are this many issues & GM hasn't addressed it!! I am so completely satisfied with this car! I love it, however it seems it could be a death trap!! Wondering if I should bail on chevy and go back to Honda!!! I'd like to file a report with SOMEONE?!
Old March 3rd, 2015 | 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Can anyone say for certain that they have successfully fixed this? And how?
Thanks!!
Old March 3rd, 2015 | 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JimK
I recently experienced the same problem - see my posts in the Impala forum about "Warning . . ."
I can't recommend strongly enough that anyone experiencing this problem file a complaint with NHTSA. It can be done on-line and only takes a few minutes.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This is a very dangerous situation - I dread thinking about what will happen when this occurs in the middle of Atlanta, on the 401 in Toronto, or any major freeway.
I just recently started having this happen to my HHR - now i'm afraid to travel too far from home (or go on the expressway at all) - dealership can't even check out my car until next week. I did file one at the link provided - thank you for that. The scary thing is, as many people as i have seen on here with the same problem - there are probably 10 times more (at least) who have it happening to them.
Old March 3rd, 2015 | 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Memom15
Can anyone say for certain that they have successfully fixed this? And how?
Thanks!!
Hopefully I will find out next Tuesday - couldn't get an appointment til then - in the meantime sticking very close to home. From reading all of these it sounds like it is a huge problem with a lot of different models from 2010/2011.
Old March 3rd, 2015 | 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by anditblood
My 2011 HHR just started doing this as well. I am also not looking for a "free fix" but an efficient one. If its $600 bucks or whatever. Then fine. But if its a reoccurring problem then yea that's kinda crappy and GM should correct it. If its just a sensor that people are paying to replace but the same sensor is going bad within months then obviously there needs to be, maybe not a recall but a notice sent to all the dealerships about which specific parts from which specific companies must be used to correct the issue. It could easily be one or two companies making bad replacement parts.
I also have a 2011 HHR, with only 58,000 miles on it. Judging from the newer cars on here that are having the same problem it really does need to be addressed before someone gets killed. When I see how many complaints there are on here...and realize that there are many, many, many more complaints about the same problem than get posted here, covering many different models, I think it is a HUGE problem and should be addressed by the company...soon.
Old March 3rd, 2015 | 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ladydriver23
Was driving on the highway. Alert came on and car stalled. Towed it to dealer and changed throttle box for 700$. Drove again today on the highway and same issue. Petrified for my life. Any Malibu owners in the Detroit area who have this issue ?
Close...I'm an HHR owner in the Detroit area with the same issue. The dealership can't even check my car out until next week - so am sticking very close to home (and no expressway driving) - Thank God I'm retired now and can do that.
Old March 3rd, 2015 | 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Because it is expected behavior when experiencing a malfunction!!!!!! GET YOUR CAR FIXED !!
Well duh! Very helpful statement sledge (not) have you been reading these? some of the people have taken their cars in numerous times...spent huge bucks on 'repairs' that don't work..trial and error stuff...and end up having the same problem! Obviously there is a problem that even the dealerships don't know how to handle (best case scenario)...or they are just out to take advantage of people to get as much $$$$ as they can from them (worst case scenario) - whatever the problem is, it needs to be figured out..and soon...there are too many 'newish' years and models involved NOT to be a bigger problem than 'normal wear and tear'.

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!