Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2015, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has over 100,000. I wish someone had told me that before, it began having this trouble a while ago.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

Unfortunately I live in The Bahamas and cannot stop to a Good Year or a Chevy dealer as there is none in this country. The same thing happened to my car on the way home in the middle of a highway (where cars drive by extremely fast). I drove home so afraid that perhaps the car would explode or fall apart. The entire car was trembling and rattling. Tomorrow I will see if a mechanic can assist😔. I thought Chevy was a reputable American brand ... I am disappointed after reading that this is a common problem with these type of cars.

Last edited by Rickel Trotman; December 3rd, 2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old December 6th, 2015, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default My car won't go over 10 mph

I'm having the same issue with my 2011 Malibu. The check engine light comes on and when I stop it won't go over 10 mph. It happened 6 times last night alone while I was trying to get my kids Christmas presents.
Old December 7th, 2015, 7:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default Reduced engine power

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Greenfield3,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I would like to look into this for you. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, address, and dealership. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
I am having the same problem Erica. Should you like me to message you as well?
Old December 9th, 2015, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

2011 Malibu having same issue throttle body was changed map sensors changed 3 times computer reprogrammed. I have seen a ton of posts all over the Internet with this same problems but no solution. Oh I also had the sun roof checked and cleaned. I am besides myself I need my car I have to work so I can continue to pay my car payment. Really Chevy and GM. THIS NERDS TO BE TAKEN CARE OF!!
Old December 11th, 2015, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dangerous Safety Issue reduce engine power

I own a 2008 Chev Malibu LTZ and it has intermittently reduced power, vehicle shakes, malfunction light comes on, accelerator does not work properly or car will not accelerate, and this has occurred six times in the last three years. You have to pull over if you can and restart the car and it resets until it occurs again. In June 2015, it occurred near a dealorship in Foley, Al and they told me what the possible causes were and replaced a plug, coil, ,purge valve, and cleared my engine codes. I was out $571.00 The problem has re-occurred twice since that repair and yesterday I received a notice from Chev GM that the throttle-position sensor is causing this problem and my car must be within 120k miles or 10 years for free repairs and previous maintenance reimbursement. My car has 124k Miles and the dealorship and GM said they would not cover the part or reimburse me for the repairs because it is passed the mileage. The dealorship will not cover it because the codes are no longer there so I have to wait for this dangerous life-threatening condition occurs again so i have the codes in the system and so they will repair it for free. They want to charge me $610.00 to fix this. This is a serious safety issue and I know it has caused accidents somewhere if the person lived to tell about it. Chev delayed this notice about this defective part because they know it will cost them millions to repair.

Last edited by rms6308; December 11th, 2015 at 3:33 PM.
Old December 11th, 2015, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

At least you got a letter my car is still at the dealer ugh I am so annoyed with this
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default First time today on my 2008 HHR. "Reduced Engine Power"

I had the "reduced engine power" warning today on my 2008 HHR.

I was in a noisy environment when I turned the key to start (warm motor). I didn't think I heard it catch, so I turned the key off and started again. Immediately, the engine light came on and "reduced engine power" were on.

I suspected bad fuel, as I had filled up an empty tank and then drove 5 minutes before parking for a short time.

I HAD to get home, so I took side roads on what seemed to be TWO of the four cylinders running. It wasn't rough, except at stop signs — but it was sure gutless. 50 mph/ 80 km/h top speed, after a long acceleration.

When I parked it next, the motor was just fine on restart, though the engine light stayed on.

When I got home, I plugged my code scanner in and there was a message about "minimum throttle position not learned" or something like that. I cleared the messages and all is good for now.

Did I start the problem by the initial "double start"?

There are a fair number of horror stories on this thread. I HOPE my experience was a one-off, but we'll see…
Old December 17th, 2015, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Barry I am still living the nightmare it's been a month mechanic dealer everyone has looked at it. I finally picked it up yesterday and I though it was feeling right but thought that might be me being paranoid. The ironic thing is I received a letter from Chevrolet acknowledging the issue. So I drove my car to work today went back to my car an hour later and it did not start but then it started in about an hour so it's back at the dealer but they won't do anything unless it repeats itself of not starting
Old December 18th, 2015, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default chevy trailblazer

My chevy trailblazer continues to display reduced engine power message and every time I get the throttle body replaced, it goes away
...it seems as if maybe 3-6 months later. ..im back at square one??

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!