Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

1997 Evaporator Core, How to/Help

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2013, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Evaporator Core, How to/Help

It has been a while since I have posted on this forum, as we no longer have our classic Chevy. I have since gotten married, and now am in the joint possession of a 1997 Chevy Lumina 3.1L Sedan, my wife's.

It's a good runner, though not much of a a looker, it gets usually 25+mpg and has treated us well. Done the normal repairs like intake gaskets, water pump, some brakes, etc. Now for the funnest one of all!

Through diagnosing with a Blue-Point freon sniffer, I have determined that the leak is coming from the evaporator. The sniffer went off at the vents with the a/c on, and no where else. This would also explain why it is a slow leak and takes a month or so to lose "full" charge; it's a low side leak.

I have done a lot of repairs on this car and others, but have never dove into the evaporator on this particular car. I was wondering if anyone has any literature on how to, pictures, etc on this particular procedure. I am fairly certain the dash has to come out, though I have read that the heater core does not require dash removal but am not sure on the evaporator.

Any help or advice would be much welcomed. Thanks so much!

George