TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Replacement rear evaporator core doesn't match OEM

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2012, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement rear evaporator core doesn't match OEM

My 2005 Trailblazer EXT LT (V-6) leaks Freon (refrigerant). Two service stations told me that the rear evaporator core leaks and must be replaced. Now the service station selected for the work is telling me that the replacement part does not match the original equipment. The story is that GM switched suppliers mid-way through the model year. They tell me that they don't know how to make the new part fit my system. They have indicated that there may be additional parts required at substantial additional expense.
Is this legitimate? If so, does someone out there know how to install the replacement part?
Old June 27th, 2012, 4:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd call bs on that.
Old June 28th, 2012, 3:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeADavis
My 2005 Trailblazer EXT LT (V-6) leaks Freon (refrigerant). Two service stations told me that the rear evaporator core leaks and must be replaced. Now the service station selected for the work is telling me that the replacement part does not match the original equipment. The story is that GM switched suppliers mid-way through the model year. They tell me that they don't know how to make the new part fit my system. They have indicated that there may be additional parts required at substantial additional expense.
Is this legitimate? If so, does someone out there know how to install the replacement part?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Did you take it to a dealer service station? If so, I would like to investigate this further. Please PM or email the last 8-digits of your VIN, your full name and the name and city of the dealer.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 28th, 2012, 8:19 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regardless if they switched manufactures the correct part is available. They need to order it using the vin number. If the can not get the right part then they are incompetent.
Old June 29th, 2012, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Evaporator

The replacement part was ordered with the VIN. GM's direction was an expensive conversion kit that would have at least tripled the parts cost and added 2 hours billable labor. The change would have been a 50% increase over the original estimate.

The service tech ended up drilling and tapping two holes in the replacement evaporator so that the sensor could be mounted to it in the same fashion it had been mounted to the old part. Expensive conversion kit averted and job completed at the original estimate.