Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

93 Lumina need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2020, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Lumina need some advice.

Just bought a 93 lumina and it has some issues. I am having a hard time pinning down exactly what. I was told by the person I bought it from that it needed a fuel pump or possibly an 02 sensor.
The car has the following symptoms currently.
It will start right up normally. After being driven however it will have issues starting again. Predominantly when it has been warmed up and then parked briefly. It will turn over just fine but wont catch. When it finally does it usually surges for a moment and then will slowly return to a normal idle.
it has not died while.being driven. Only when parking and starting it up again. Time it takes to start up has been highly variable but usually will get going again after 10 to 15 minutes.
Service engine light has come on twice now. First time it briefly flashed at a light and the second time it came on while idling and stayed on until i turned the car off. Went away again when i got it to start up again and so far has not come back on.
Car has 190,000 miles on it give or take and seems.to have been fairly well maintained.
Otherwise the car sounds and runs pretty well. I have not had a chance yet to check the basics beyond knowing it needs an oil change but my last car was a 4 cylinder neon. I am still learning about this car and its engine.
looking for any advice and tips on how to properly diagnose and fix my issue.
Old January 13th, 2020, 8:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Do you know what the SEL light is? Do you get gasoline from the the same place all the time? What you post acts like a blockage to the fuel pump, or fuel pump.
Old January 13th, 2020, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Do you know what the SEL light is? Do you get gasoline from the the same place all the time? What you post acts like a blockage to the fuel pump, or fuel pump.
Yes as I mentioned the SEL has come on briefly twice but hasn't stayed on long enough to pull codes. I was told that the fuel filter had been replaced recently so I'm assuming the pump is the most likely problem. I'm just not used to a pump working like this. My other car when they went, they just died completely. The working most of the time.isnwhat keeps throwing me off. Thank you for replying.