Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Coolant Temperature Sender

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2020, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Temperature Sender

A few months ago I bought a 99 Monte Carlo LS 3.1 and notice the temperature gauge only goes up around 1/3 of the way. So jumped the connector and the gauge also jumped. Well I also noticed the last owner put green antifreeze in it so figure once the weather cools off a little change that out and replace the sender. BUT despite my repair manual showing a sender and a sensor whenever I try to look up the part it only shows me the sensor. Am I looking up the wrong name for it or something? Cause the manual has a picture of both of them for the 3.1. Or does it happen they are the same thing cause when I look up the part all I get is the sensor and not a sender.
Old August 26th, 2020, 1:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by CarloFan44
A few months ago I bought a 99 Monte Carlo LS 3.1 and notice the temperature gauge only goes up around 1/3 of the way. So jumped the connector and the gauge also jumped. Well I also noticed the last owner put green antifreeze in it so figure once the weather cools off a little change that out and replace the sender. BUT despite my repair manual showing a sender and a sensor whenever I try to look up the part it only shows me the sensor. Am I looking up the wrong name for it or something? Cause the manual has a picture of both of them for the 3.1. Or does it happen they are the same thing cause when I look up the part all I get is the sensor and not a sender.
There is a level sensor that is below the radiator cap on the radiator, and the temperature sensor sets next to the thermostat housing. I use green anti-freeze with no issues.
Old August 26th, 2020, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the temperature sensor also connects to the gauge on the dash or something? It's just a pain cause the repair manual has 2 different pictures for the sender and sensor.
Old August 26th, 2020, 2:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by CarloFan44
So the temperature sensor also connects to the gauge on the dash or something? It's just a pain cause the repair manual has 2 different pictures for the sender and sensor.
The sender drives the temperature gauge, the sensor gives you a low coolant level light.