Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

I have a leak!!

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2015, 2:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a leak!!

Ok I have a 97 chevy lumina that has been in the family since brand new in 97 and is still just like a brand new car in and out that has over 340,000 original miles on it and have had no problems at all with it since new well till 9 months back it started leaking around the thermostat housing area and I know of the head gasket problems they have with these cars. So I put in head gasket fixer bars leak and it fixed it. Then a month after water pump went out so replaced it and right after I replaced the water pump it was running hot with the temperature gage jumping all over and heater not working and then read online and found out you have to bleed the system on these cars so I did that and it fixed it and had no problems after that at all till today it started leaking again around someplace by the thermostat. Any ideas? I see something that looks like a freeze plug where all the antifreeze looks like it is coming from is their one there? I did some research on how to tell if it a bad gasket and there is NO signs of what all I read that it is of either a bad head gasket or intake gasket... So if you have any thoughts here let me know.
Attached Thumbnails I have a leak!!-11084327_883021611756110_778737556_n.jpg   I have a leak!!-11096968_883030845088520_1213234476_n.jpg  
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So why do we get pictures of your interior and not of the freeze plug area?

it could be running down the block.

You should pressure test the cooling system when the vehicle is cold, that way you can see where the coolant is running/dripping from exactly.
Old April 1st, 2015, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Because I can't get a picture of it way too much stuff in the way. I barely can see it with my own eyes with a flashlight when looking through a small opening. When i do try to take a picture it just won't show up just makes everything up close bright and the rest down the opening dark..

Thank you I will try that!!

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
So why do we get pictures of your interior and not of the freeze plug area?

it could be running down the block.

You should pressure test the cooling system when the vehicle is cold, that way you can see where the coolant is running/dripping from exactly.
Old April 1st, 2015, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do have to consider reality with 340k miles..

I'm surprised that the head gaskets lasted that long... ???

Does your oil look cakey or is it clean still?
Old April 2nd, 2015, 1:14 AM
CF Beginner

It is still clean no sludge, cakey, milky, or anything like that.

If you are surprised about 340k it is nothing though compared to my dads 93 s-10 he bought brand new it has over 900,000 original miles on it and has had nothing major done to it he did replaced the timing chain once at 500, cuz he didn't want to take a chance and it break but other than that he has had nothing done to his s-10 except for the regular maintenance like spark plugs and exedra and oh yeah replace the clutch a few times and also it not all highway miles either!! He has towed several lods with a full size trailer and a couple of times the back bumper was almost touching the ground because it was that loaded down. We even a few times towed a car once and a big motorcycle with a small ranger truck once back on that full size trailer all the way from california to texas. The reason why is at the time it was the only truck for many years we had to tow stuff with but now we use my full size chevy truck. Oh and yeah he in 2003 wrecked the front end but lucky the insurance fixed it. He was going to work in the middle of the night and he came over a hill and in his lane was a big cow and in the other a donkey so he swerved and took out the donkey because it was the smaller one and from the middle of the truck to the passenger side was all pushed in and the grill was broke out from middle to passenger side. Didn't bend the frame or nothing like that or punctured the radiator but did bend it some along with ac condenser but he managed to drive the rest the way to work and back home after the cops let him go. So they replaced the radiator, condenser, hood, front support, passenger fender, bumper. headlight, and turn signal light.

I did the pressure test today but no leak and no air escaping that i could hear of. I thought about it though just a little while ago and it might not be leaking with the cold pressor test because the thermostat is closed. So the air is probably not getting past that because it is on the other side of the thermostat where it is leaking.

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
You do have to consider reality with 340k miles..

I'm surprised that the head gaskets lasted that long... ???

Does your oil look cakey or is it clean still?

Last edited by 97 Silver Lumina; April 2nd, 2015 at 2:02 AM.