New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

07 Impala and the rear end.

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2014, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Impala and the rear end.

Hello, I'm new, and need advice. I have an 07 Impala I bought in January of this year. It's eating tires. Worse than that, when driving on wet roads, the rear end is all over the place. I'm taking it to an alignment shop Friday, but was hoping to get some ideas before I go. I've already done a lot of work to it. But if this is something major or can't be fixed, it's butt is going back. I'm fed up with it. I'm done sinking money into this car. Anyone have a clue? Or good advice so maybe I can steer the mechanic in the right direction?
Old September 24th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

the alignment will fix it. the rear springs have sagged changing the rear toe and camber settings.
toe is the biggest tire wear angle and when its out it will change the thrust angle (which influences directional travel) and cause feather edge wear which will create tire noise.

rear toe correction will fix it the wandering rear end but the tire wear pattern is set in the current tires so they will always be loud. at least the next set of tires will wear properly.

they may want to sell you rear springs to correct the ride height and negative camber...and that would be the correct way to fix it. I've seen the camber be out of spec 1*negative and still not cause camber wear. If I was doing it for my car I would sent the toe and leave it... but doing that for a customer's car is a different story.

they will also do a complete tire and suspension check. If any worn parts are detected they will be quoted also.

Last edited by tech2; September 24th, 2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old September 25th, 2014, 1:03 AM
CF Active Member

Sorry with what you're going through but hope the alignment would solve the problem, update us with the progress.
Old September 25th, 2014, 4:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the alignment will fix it. the rear springs have sagged changing the rear toe and camber settings.
toe is the biggest tire wear angle and when its out it will change the thrust angle (which influences directional travel) and cause feather edge wear which will create tire noise.

rear toe correction will fix it the wandering rear end but the tire wear pattern is set in the current tires so they will always be loud. at least the next set of tires will wear properly.

they may want to sell you rear springs to correct the ride height and negative camber...and that would be the correct way to fix it. I've seen the camber be out of spec 1*negative and still not cause camber wear. If I was doing it for my car I would sent the toe and leave it... but doing that for a customer's car is a different story.

they will also do a complete tire and suspension check. If any worn parts are detected they will be quoted also.
First, thank you so much for explaining that. I understand what you're saying. But would an alignment just be a temporary fix? I can't afford to get an alignment and new tires every few months.
Old September 25th, 2014, 4:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gearbox
Sorry with what you're going through but hope the alignment would solve the problem, update us with the progress.
Thank you! I will.
Old September 25th, 2014, 7:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by arcox76
First, thank you so much for explaining that. I understand what you're saying. But would an alignment just be a temporary fix? I can't afford to get an alignment and new tires every few months.

the alignment and replacement of worn suspension parts will fix it. just remember to load the car with the weight that normally is in the car as this will change ride height.

ie. maybe the car owner is a bible salesman and fills the trunk with 300lbs of bibles each week for work. this weight will push down on the springs changing the toe positive and camber negative. So to align this car properly, bring the car in loaded with bibles, as this is how the majority of driving will be done.
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

I took my car into the shop, and the guy said the same exact thing you did. He said the rear driver tire was toed in pretty bad. He called GM about theproblem, I told him what I read, that it's a common problem in the impala. Glad he took me seriously. He thinks the alignment and new tires will work. But also said that we can get rear struts, and he can modify to fix it permanently instead of the kit. He explained why he'd rather do it that way. And, it'll be cheaper for me. What are your thoughts on that? Again, thank you so much! Because of you I was better able to understand him and make a decision.
Old September 27th, 2014, 8:35 AM
Super Moderator

Do what he recommended. I agree with everything he said. I assume the kit you refer to is an eccentric bolt kit to allow camber adjustments. Replacing the springs is truly the best way to go as it will also correct ride height. Put in quick strut kits if you plan on keeping this car for a long time. quick struts include new springs, strutsand upper mounts.This way you will not have to go back later for worn struts.