Nova & Chevy II The Chevy II was introduced in the 1962 model year and quickly became one of the most popular models, with many trim levels and engines available. The RWD Chevy II/ Nova ended in 1979

Chirping in Nova

Old June 29th, 2010, 5:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping in Nova

Hey guys, I've got a 1978 Chevy Nova. Perhaps the answer to my question will be obvious to all of you, however, I'm a girl with almost no mechanical knowledge. I have run this issue by the mechanically inclined people in my life and noone seems to have an answer.

It is front wheel drive, 6 cylinder I'm pretty sure, automatic, 4 door sedan, and has very low mileage of only 80,000 km. It runs really well and my only major complaint is that is leaks some oil.

Sometimes there is a chirping noise, without any identifiable reason... not upon starting up from cold, not after accelerating too quickly, not when it's really hot... there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason when it will start or stop and there's no way for me to know when it might begin. It isn't around when I'm idling, or when I'm going verrrry slowly, but it increases the intermittence of the chirping with my speed. So as I go faster, the chirping gets faster, when I slow down, the chirping slows down... until finally I go slow enough that it stops. It sticks around when I'm just cruising along, gas pedal on or not. However, if I shut off the car, there's a chance that I won't hear it again for a few days. It just comes and goes. It is also worth noting that it sounds like it's inside the car, in the cab.

Perhaps this is related, or maybe not... but the "GEN" light is often on. Sometimes it's flickering, sometimes it's bright, sometimes it's dull. There doesn't seem to be any connection between when it's on and when my car is chirping.

My Dad says that it's my alternator belt. However, he's never been in the car when it's been chirping and has only heard me describe it. He also says that if it's my alternator belt, then eventually my car would, in theory, stop charging and that it will eventually die. However, I've been the owner for the past 35,000 km and the chirping has been coming and going for at least that long. He also says that I shouldn't have my heater, head lights, and radio on all at once because it will wear down my battery.... however, that doesn't seem to be the case as I drive with all three on on a regular basis. My alternator belt has also been tightened recently and that didn't seem to make a difference.

I'm perplexed. Any ideas?
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

sounds like a belt slipping to one of the accesories under the hood i.e. AC belt or alternator belt...
Old June 30th, 2010, 2:15 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply! Does that mean that a belt needs to be tightened, replaced, or maybe the alternator needs to be replaced...?
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

tighten may help but it depends on the age and condition of the belt.
if the portion of the belt that contacts the pulley is shinny or glazed looking its probably old and worn and needs to be replaced.
It is possible that a bearing in the alternator is bad and could cause a chirping sound but more likely would be a growling sound as the bearing would degrade quickly....
Also an A/C clutch can also make a chirping sound if it is slipping or worn
Old July 6th, 2010, 1:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi NovaGirl,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

You may want to consider changing your battery cables, and engine- to- ground-strap also, given the age of the vehicle.

Corroded cables eat batteries, alternators, and starters. Given consideration of their low cost, IMO it's one of the best investments you can make.
Old March 9th, 2021, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 denali chirp noise

I have a 2008 yukon denali Xl and Im going through the same chirping noise. I had my suspension recently replaced and you can still hear it. So obviously that wasn't it. Has anyone found the solution its so annoying?