Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

'78 Chevy P30: Inline 4.8L, TH400 (auto), 82k miles

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2019, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '78 Chevy P30: Inline 4.8L, TH400 (auto), 82k miles

Currently looking at this step van to buy and convert into an RV/camper, etc. The body is in great condition, barn doors on the rear and suspension was recently beefed up. For peace of mind, longevity, power (and maybe slightly better gas mileage), I would need to do something with the engine and tranny. The tranny leaks a little, but from the little research I've done the TH400 is supposedly pretty durable. So, assuming an engine change would be in the cards, does anyone have any thoughts or links to information that would be beneficial?

I understand the cost and potential complexity, but it would be great to know the options and details related to them. The van looks pretty sweet and would be an awesome project.

Thanks for any input.
Rick

Old January 25th, 2019, 7:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You would probably need some kind of air conditioning/heating system. Also for a camper/RV some windows would be nice.
Old January 25th, 2019, 7:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
You would probably need some kind of air conditioning/heating system. Also for a camper/RV some windows would be nice.
One or two roof fans, insulate it and either a marine, boat cabin heater or mini wood stove would cover it. I just want to get my ducks in a row with the engine situation before I jump in. The TH400 is known to leak but I don't think it would need to be replaced... maybe hopefully.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Well, the good Lord willing and someone doesn't swoop in within the next few days, I'll be the owner of a 1978 Chevy P30. Checked it out on Saturday (2/2) and loved it. Just have to make the arrangements to seal the deal. It'll be a 4+ hour trip back because I want to avoid the interstate. Gas mileage be damned (so he says now...)
Old February 3rd, 2019, 1:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Only thing on the drive train is what size engine? The TH400 is a good one, I have one behind my 455.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Only thing on the drive train is what size engine? The TH400 is a good one, I have one behind my 455.
It currently has the original inline 4.8l, which at some point will be replaced. I don't have the cash to swap for a diesel. If I did, I would have purchased a newer step van (maybe) with one already in it. I do like the looks of this one. So freakin' old school. Anyway, now the question becomes what gas engine to put in? I won't be hauling any toys but I plan on taking it into the mountains when I head west. Any thoughts on that?
Old February 3rd, 2019, 2:49 PM
CF Monarch

Woops, I missed the 4.8. If you could find a 400, that would probably be the way I would go.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Woops, I missed the 4.8. If you could find a 400, that would probably be the way I would go.
Interesting. I've only heard people talk up the 350. Anything in particular or has it just worked out well for you?
Old February 3rd, 2019, 3:21 PM
CF Monarch

350 is fine, I'm thinking you might need that little extra since you will be taking it in the mountains.