Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

Chevy Chevette Starter replacement not fitting!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2009, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Chevette Starter replacement not fitting!!!!

I own a 1980 CJ7. When I purchased this toy car, I was told there was a Chevy engine in it. It does have a GM key. After replacing numerous parts (temperature sensor, alternator, more), I narrowed it down to a 1980 - 84 Chevy Chevette...and more recently thought I narrowed it down to 80 or 81. I need to replace my starter and after ordering one (all chevy chevettes had same model numbers from 78 -84), I realized it did not fit. The issue is: the mounting bolts to my original starter go VERTICALLY while every other chevy chevette starter are tightened HORIZONTALLY. EVERY TIME I've had to order a part, chevy chevette was the right car. It should be a 96 cid 4 cyl. I did have a gentleman mention he heard Jeep did stock a Chevy 4 Banger for a while. Not sure if that is true though.

If anyone has any information concerning this, I would be very very greatful. I'm stuck between a jeep forum and chevy forum now......haha!

Thank you chevroletforum.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sincerely,

jeap mogilski
thejeaphish@gmail.com
Old May 19th, 2009, 1:38 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum, I would call Chevy or put the VIN in a online decoder and find out exactly what it is.

Here is a online one http://www.decodethis.com/
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like a GM starter, just not a Chevette starter. Take your old one to a repair shop and they may know what it would fit, or you can just rebuild that one.
Old September 25th, 2009, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

CJ's used GM's 2.5L 4 cylinder, in addition to the AMC 4.2L 6 cyl in 1980....there was NEVER an OHC engine in a CJ @ the factory...Take a look at rockauto.com...the pics of a CJ starter w/a 2.5 show the bolts going in as you described....
Old September 29th, 2009, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Yes. I believe the 2.5 would be correct. They might share many parts, with the 2.5L motor, mainly as a way of keeping costs down. so even thought some parts may for its not a guerinteed shure.. Besides the little 1.6L motor could barely power the chevette let alone a four wheel drive jeep. 63 hp would suck to climb a rock with.