Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

My Celebrity

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2006, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Celebrity

I have a 1988 celebrity I can't kill the dang thing.
But anyways a few weeks ago i went to put new exaust on it. While i was there the guy asked me. Do you go through alot of O2 sencors. I have gone through 5 since i got the car three years ago i said. He told me that my cat converter was doing something to burn them out. He cut my cat off and put it in straight.
After he did this the idle smoothed out the car ran ten times better. More power the temp of the car strted running lower. and the car sounded better. why would the catty cause the car to burn up its o2 sencors.
Old September 14th, 2006, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: My Celebrity

You said

"He cut my cat off and put it in straight."

What do you mean by "put it in straight", was it crooked (damaged) or installed in a non-standard way? I do not understand.

Dick
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

sry for the misunderstanding he took the converter out and didn't replace it. the exaust pipe comes off of the manifold and goes straight to the muffler now.
Old September 15th, 2006, 3:11 AM
CF Beginner

Didn't that impact the engine's ability to pass emmissions inspection, or do you not have that where you live?
Old September 15th, 2006, 4:49 AM
CF Beginner

After 15 years where I live your vehicle doen't have to pass emmissions, just lights, horn, ect... anyways it passed so It is back on the road.
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:33 PM
CF Senior Member

those cars are the best i had a 85 with the 2.8 that i raced for 3 1/2 years on a dirt track. i think i changed the oil two times and nothing else and i could not kill it. it finaly died after i overheated it and blew the head gasket. it still ran just diddnt want to fix it.
Old September 16th, 2006, 3:23 AM
CF Beginner

I replaced the head gasket a little over a year ago because the cooling fan on the car wasn't kicking on and the car was overheating. I fixed the headgasket. there was nothing to it except the f-ing pushrods that had to be in just the right position or they would break in half. Luckily i had another celeb sitting in the back yard. I just stole some out of it. And for the fan it was a bad relay swich somewhere so on the car where the relay for the fan positive switch was i grounded one the wires and the fan starts now everytime i start the car. Also my ac quit working after that but i later found out it was also a bad relay. The car stays cool now and the thing runs like a top. Oh and in my chilton for the car it says that it came with a factory car alarm. Dose anyone know about this?
Old January 20th, 2007, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Hey all i'm new and i just got my first car, a 89 celeb..Not quite sure this makes a difference but i'm a chick and like most girls I don't know much about this car..is there anything i should know that i should look out for??
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:52 PM
CF Junior Member

I had 2 88 celebertys both with the 2.8 multiport and beat the hell out of em. They handled pretty decent too. Any way... you were replacing your o2 sensors because the cat was clogged causing exhaust to backup and foul out your o2 sensor with nasty backedup exhaustlike a sparkplug would get fouled out with raw gas. It was propably reading incorectly and causing your car to run rich.... My cat was getting red hot in burnout contests in my 89 caprice so i gutted it and put it bac on and i noticed better fuel mileage and slight performance increase.
Old February 18th, 2007, 2:59 AM
CF Beginner

Well I hate to say it but I finally killed the damn thing. Suprised it lasted as long as it has. Welp time to pull the spare engine out of the garage and put it in for round two.

Quick Reply: My Celebrity