S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1999 blazer code p1345 after engine swap

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2006, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 blazer code p1345 after engine swap

Like the heading says after the engine was swapped out with another 4.3 engine the light has been on ever since. Took it to a chev dealer and said they could not time it because it was to far out of time. They call chev support and they were told to pull the distributor and turn 1 tooth. They pulled the distributor, noticed that my gear on distributor was worn, scoped the cam gear said it was worn also. They told me I need a new cam gear and they would sell me one and installl it for the low,low price of $2600. They never even tried what chev support suggested. Turning it one tooth. I suggested maybe just changing the distributor gear and they said it would not help. Seems to me like they are trying to Bend me over and drive me! Everywhere I read in various forms say that the distributor was installed wrong. Can anybody verify this? I'm now going to another Garage on Monday and am changing out the distributor gear. If this does not get the light off I'm going to turn distributor 1 tooth. This engine has about 100,000kms on it. It is sluggish and misses a little when cold, but when warms up runs fine. Do I advance it or retard it? Clockwise 1 tooth or counterclockwise 1 tooth?
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 1999 blazer code p1345 after engine swap

first of all, turning the distributor (1) tooth really isn't going to do much to solve this-unless the distributor is already turned all the way in one dirrection or the other.if u set the timing when u did the swap, there should be no isssues with how the truck runs. question, did u change the cap/rotor/plugs/wires/etc. with the swap they could cause some hesitation with a cold engine. 100,00K is not that much to worry about.i recently swapped an enginge from a '94 Astro, (that i had removed from an '86 Astro, and installed in the '94) and put it into my '94 Jimmy. it has been runnin' for about 6 weeks, no problems at all so far. the engine's milage i feel is preety accurate (i bought the '86 from the origional owner, my neighbour, and installed it in my dad's '94) and it currently sits @ just over 379,000K. doesn't burn any oil, still has plenty of power, and no hesitation. clear the code, check everything i mentioned above and see where it leaves u with cold running. what is the code p1345 for any ways?
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:37 AM
CF Pro Member

P1345 = Cam to Crankshaft Position Correction fault
Old October 30th, 2006, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Everywhere I read says the distributor is put in wrong. The engine was changed at a Gm dealer. I just got the blazer and am trying to get the light off. I'm going to change the Gear on the distributor( as it was worn) and see if this other mechanic can put it in correctly. P1345 code can be erased and then comes back on immediatley. The code is the correlation between cam and crank position. Really my problem is not related to the one you explained. Thanks anyway.

Old October 30th, 2006, 11:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say move it over one tooth. You could do it yourself cause it's really not that hard to do.

Also make the sure the cap, rotor and the distributor itself is tight.
Old August 17th, 2009, 4:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default 6 cyclinder 4.3L engine with the EDI distributor. The one with no adjustments.

This is instructions for the 6 cyclinder 4.3L engine with the EDI distributor. The one with no adjustments.

Pull distributor wire or disconnect the battery first.

To ensure the timing is in the correct place you need you will need two people.

Pull the number 1 spark plug (driver-side furthest to the front). One person will turn the crankshaft clockwise manually from underneath (you'll nee to remove the plastic shield to do this) as the other person holds their finger over the spark plug hole until they feel air pushing outward. As soon as this happens stop turning the crankshaft. You are now on the compression stroke.

Now looking from the top of the engine thrrough the space just betwen the ac compressor and the fan blades look down toward the crankshaft. If you get the correct angle you will see a tab attached to the timing cover which has a V notched into it. If the very top of the pulley is 12 o'clock the tab is in the 1 or 2 o'clock area.

Bring the line that is cut into the harmonic balancer (which is part of the the crankshaft pulley) so it lines up with the V notch on the timing cover.

Remove the distrubutor cap cover with a torx T20 bit and the rotor should be pointing at a little mark that is labeled with a number 6. If it is not then remove the distributor and put it back in so the rotor is pointing at the 6 mark when the distributor is seated. If it is off the mark by less than 3/8 inch its probably good. If you are off by 1/2 you are off by a tooth.

If the distrubutor won't go in all the way remove the distributor and reach into the hole with a long screw driver and turn the turn the oil pump shaft manually and reinstall it again until it seats all the way down correctly.