S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

88 Blazer Firing Order

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2007, 12:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Blazer Firing Order

I have an 88 S-10 Blazer with the 2.8. I know the firing order is 123456. My question is:

According to the Haynes manual, #1 cylinder on the distributor cap is the first position counter-clockwise of the passenger side locking pin (the bent rod that locks the distributor cap in place). Is this an accurate way to deternine the location of the wire to the #1 cylinder?

I carefully marked each wire next to the plug and the order on the distributer cap. Then removed all wires while failing to note the exact location on the distributor cap. DOH! (I am rapidly approaching 50 and you would think I would know better.)

A secondary question. The truck has not been started since November 2006. It will not start. Engine spins fast enough, there is spark, and I see what appears to be gasoline coming from the injectors in the throttle body. Even tried a little starting fluid. I just replaced the cap and rotor, wires, and plugs. Still no start.

I always thought fuel + ignition + compression = start. I think I've got them all (if anything, I may be a little short on compression). The truck ran last November when it was parked.

The truck has over 200K miles and has seen its best days many years ago. I'm just trying to get it to limp another 6 months until my son goes to college. Any thoughts?

What about trying to pull start an automatic transmission? I have never done this. My understanding is that you have to get up to about 40 MPH to turn the engine. I know I have pull started cars (with manual transmissions) that failed to start (I figure higher RPMs, greater compression, etc.).
Old April 7th, 2007, 7:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 88 Blazer Firing Order

I wouldn't try to pull start that. If it is turning over good then you pulling it probably won't do any good. You know you have spark, you know you have gas, I am going to assume air, cause to see the injectors you would have the air cleaner off. I cannot tell you which point to put the #1 on, but I would be willing to bet that you have them off 1 unless you pulled the distrubutor. I do know on 91's with 4.3's a factory distributor will only go in the right way or 180 off. Anyway, If you pull the #1 plug and turn the engine by hand, put one of your fingers over the hole, when the air pushes your finger out you are on the compression stroke, and on your way to TDC. It dosen't have to be perfect for this but the closer the better. Get the piston as close to TDC as you can. Take off the distibutor cap and see where the rotor is pointing. #1 on the cap. Follow your firing order around. Another thought. Make sure you have them going the right direction. Some go clockwise some counter.
Good Luck
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 88 Blazer Firing Order

Now running.

Yes, the #1 position on the distributor cap was first position counter-clockwise of the passenger side locking pin. Some else gave me a hint that #1 position is usually closest to the #1 cylinder (e.g., right front in this case).