S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

88 S10 fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2014, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 S10 fuel issue

Hello,

I'm having a fuel problem with my S10, it's hard start now and sometimes won't start at all until I pour a little gas in the TBI to get it started. Once the engine starts it keeps running and doesn't die at all. I took it to auto zone and had it scanned and it's giving a code 54 "low fuel pump circuit voltage". Before taking it to a mechanic I was going to start with the easy stuff so I picked up a fuel pump relay but honestly I'm not sure where it goes. two or three post on the net say its on the fender well while others say it's on the driver side firewall. my truck has two relays at each location, two on the firewall and two on the driver side fender well. on a side note, the other day while the truck was running fine I had a burning resistor smell for about 20-30 seconds and a day or two after I started having these issues, I don't know if this would have anything to do with it or not. I pulled the computer out and opened it up and I didn't see anything burnt at all. When I turn the key on I'm not hearing the fuel pump start at all. this is a 88 S10, 4.3L 4WD. any ideas greatly appreciated
Thanks for your time.

Gary
Old March 30th, 2014, 12:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been a while since you posted this, did you get it fixed? Sounds a lot like a bad fuel pump. would have been good to test the fuel pressure. easily tested. also if you don't have sound of fuel pump, its not working. check to see if there is power going to it, and if there is and it wont go then the pump is bad. if there is no power going to it then a place to start is the relay.