S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

S10 Wont Start - Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2009, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S10 Wont Start - Fuel Issue

Specs:
2.2L 4 cylinder S10 1998 113K miles 5 speed manual

Current status:

Won't Crank

Symptoms that led to the current status (in order of occurence):

2 weeks ago - died after driving for 2 miles ... tried to crank it over and over again ... after getting towed home it cranked right over - like nothing ever happened

1 week ago - died again but I was able to re-crank it (I banged the fuel tank suspecting the pump was bad)

5 days ago - died and I was not able to re-crank it at all

Things I have done to try and fix it:
3 days ago - I replaced the fuel pump. I did this because while turning the key I did not hear it "priming." I was confident that my problem was the fuel pump. After replacing the pump the truck cranked right up. Worked fine for one day (approx 4 miles of driving). Then it died again and won't re-crank.

1 day ago - I replaced the fuel filter. I checked the schrader valve on the fuel rail right by the engine. I do not have a pressure gauge, but from what I can tell no fuel comes out and very little to no air escapes. Because of this test I assumed that the line is clogged so I replaced the fuel filter. Still doesn't crank.

Notes:
The car does crank (idles for a few secs then dies) when I use starter fluid in the air intake. Fuses/Relays seem to be fine. No "check engine" codes.

My thoughts:
I suspect that it's a fuel issue but I find it very hard to believe that the fuel line is obstructed/clogged.

What do you guys think?
Old November 9th, 2009, 8:53 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say it does not crank, generally that means that the engine does not turn over at all. You either have a no crank/ no start or a cranking no start. Please clarify this for us. I am assuming you have a cranking no start but I want to be sure.
Old November 10th, 2009, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The starter is fine. When I put the key in to start it it does try to crank but does not turn over.