S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

98 S10 Blazer coil and ICM wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2011, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 S10 Blazer coil and ICM wiring diagram

I have a 98 s10 Blazer 4.3L 4WD with EDI system. Just had a shop do some repair work and I'm not sure the spliced the new 3 pin connector on the coil back into the harness correctly.
I'm looking for the diagram for the 3 pin coil connection and the 4 pin igntion control mod connection that shows wire color codes and where they go on the push pin (Location A,B,C and D).

Also, is there a GM section I can get a copy of describing the correct way to splice wires. These guys used crimp connectors and I know they should be soldered, I just want to show them the document when I ask for my money back.

Thanks
Old March 26th, 2011, 9:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. See if the following make sense.

Ignition coil:

Terminal A, PNK wire, ignition voltage, from 15A ECM1 fuse in underhood fuse block
Terminal C, WHT/BLK wire, tach sig, from ICM terminal D

ICM:

Terminal A, PNK wire, ignition voltage, from 15A ECM1 fuse in underhood fuse block
Terminal B, WHT wire, ignition timing sig, from VCM connector C3, terminal 9
Terminal C, BLK/WHT wire, ground
Terminal D, WHT/BLK wire, tach sig, to ignition coil terminal C

As far as crimping, it could be worse, they could have used electric soldering iron. If you want to redo it, be sure to use gas soldering iron.
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. How does electric vrs gas soldering differ?
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An electric soldering iron can inject stray voltage/current into sensitive electronic circuits. It can cause components to fail outright or, worse, fail intermittently.
Old September 7th, 2021, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum. See if the following make sense.

Ignition coil:

Terminal C, WHT/BLK wire, tach sig, from ICM terminal D

ICM:

Terminal B, WHT wire, ignition timing sig, from VCM connector C3, terminal 9
Terminal C, BLK/WHT wire, ground
Terminal D, WHT/BLK wire, tach sig, to ignition coil terminal C

As far as crimping, it could be worse, they could have used electric soldering iron. If you want to redo it, be sure to use gas soldering iron.
hello i have a question pertaining to this thread i realize its 10 yrs old and am really hopin your still around to help.
tia
Old February 7th, 2022, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jimmyguy81
hello i have a question pertaining to this thread i realize its 10 yrs old and am really hopin your still around to help.
tia
I can get the actual diagram if anyone needs it.
Old February 21st, 2022, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Recklessabandon
I can get the actual diagram if anyone needs it.
Please do post it.
I am doing a TBI to Carb swap and running into a couple of wiring issues. My truck is a 2002 GMC Sonoma with 4.3 V6 Vortec engine. I have followed all the suggestions I can find online (youtube) from others who have done this swap, but can't seem to get my fuel pump to run past the initial 3 second prime and my tachometer isn't working. I have hooked the white wire with black stripe that came from the original coil into the tach port on the HEI distributor as well as tying in the purple wire with white stripe that is supposed to supply energy to the fuel pump, but neither hookup seems to be doing it's job, so now I'm back to researching the actual wiring harness for the appropriate hookups.
Thanks for your help.
Old February 21st, 2022, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gcdonner
Please do post it.
I am doing a TBI to Carb swap and running into a couple of wiring issues. My truck is a 2002 GMC Sonoma with 4.3 V6 Vortec engine. I have followed all the suggestions I can find online (youtube) from others who have done this swap, but can't seem to get my fuel pump to run past the initial 3 second prime and my tachometer isn't working. I have hooked the white wire with black stripe that came from the original coil into the tach port on the HEI distributor as well as tying in the purple wire with white stripe that is supposed to supply energy to the fuel pump, but neither hookup seems to be doing it's job, so now I'm back to researching the actual wiring harness for the appropriate hookups.
Thanks for your help.
If you need help past this let me know!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
02 Sonoma Fuel Pump.pdf (392.1 KB, 88 views)