S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

A/C Compressor turning on and off with no cooling

Old August 3rd, 2012, 1:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way to properly check for a problem is with a set of gauges. It could be a leak, it could be the compressor or a lot of other reasons. The gauges will tell you if the problem lies with the freon or someplace else. The problem is if you don't know what you are doing you probably wont find the problem unless you get lucky. You said you checked it again later and it still had pressure so a leak is most likely not the problem. When you add freon on a hot day it is difficult because the cans become bound up and the only way you can get them to work is by putting them in a pan of water while filling the system. You can only check the pressure when the compressor is operating. You may find you might have to evacuate the system and set up a vacuum pump and bring the system down to specs before you can install new freon. Good luck and I hope your able to fix the problem.....
Old August 16th, 2016, 4:31 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C psi from 15 to 50

More than likely the refrigerant was low, but when you hooked up the bottle it forced the air from the lines into the system. You need to vacuum the system out, (if you're using the bottle) make sure you get the air out, and then recharge. Or go somewhere have them do that, but add dye when you do the recharge. There are far too many o-rings to play the guessing game in ACADEMY. Lol. Good luck!
Originally Posted by christoj879
I had a friend over today and changed their oil, and they asked me to take a look at their AC. I don't know a whole ton, but I do have a bottle of recharge with a pressure gauge. I turned on the AC to max and came out to the engine, and hooked up the bottle of recharge. As soon as I started adding some freon, I saw the compressor kick on, the gauge on the pressure meter climb (from 15 PSI to 50), then the compressor would turn off, the pressure would go back to 15, and the process would repeat itself. I stopped adding freon pretty quickly to just watch what it did and it continued to do that, with just hot air (hot day) coming out of the vents.

Is this a compressor going bad or a refrigerant leak or something else? It's a 97 Blazer.

Thanks in advance!