S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Gauges Resetting While Driving/Lights Flickering

Old October 21st, 2007, 4:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges Resetting While Driving/Lights Flickering

Hello Everyone,

I have a 98 Chevy S10 that I've owned for probably 3(ish) years. I went on a trip for two weeks and left my truck in the driveway. When I returned I got in and drove to the store, but halfway there I noticed something strange with my Dashlights/Gauges. My gauges (all of them) were resetting themselves while I was driving and my radio was dying at the same time. They continued to flicker and come back on until I got back home. It didn't drive any different and the A/C continued to work the whole time. Additionally, I think I saw the battery level (when it wasn't flickering haha) going down while I was at stoplights. I don't know if I can trust that considering they were flickering and resetting like crazy, but I figured I'd mention it.

I'm really stumped. I was tempted to switch out the battery, but I can't imagine that is it. I almost took it to a dealer (gasp), but I don't know if I can afford their solution. I just don't want this thing to die on me.

Can someone help me?

Old October 22nd, 2007, 4:23 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Gauges Resetting While Driving/Lights Flickering

Check the Terminals (might be corroded), also check the Chasis Ground. those can cause your symptoms, good luck
Old October 22nd, 2007, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

i had a 1990 blazer, not the same truck, but i had the same symptoms and it was the alternator. Check that and if it needs a new one replace the battery that had been destroyed by the alternator, it wont hold a charge anymore like it should.
Old October 25th, 2007, 1:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Howdy, bensonusaf. I agree with the rest of the replys, but take it to a local parts store. They will test your altenator and batteryfor Free. You can also get a Free diagnossis scan to make sure there are no codes yor unaware of.
[sm=type.gif]