S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

S-10 Power/No Power

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2013, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-10 Power/No Power

I have a 2002 Chev S-10 pick-up, 2wd, 4 cyl, ext cab.
3 years ago, I got into my truck and turned the key and there was no power.
No lights, nothing, like the battery was disconneceted.
I got towed to a garage where they fixed it and said it was a bad ground.
After paying the $275- repair bill plus tow, it happened again, and again it was towed and they said it was a loose battery terminal for which they didnt charge me except for the tow.
This problem has happened a few times over the past 3 years, now it is happening again more frequently.
One day I turned the key and there was nothing, no dome light no power. I opened the hood to take a look. No wires I could see disconnected, so I slammed the hood, then it started when I turned the key. This was a year ago.
I went out the other day, and same thing happened to me again.
This time it clicked a couple times when I turned the key to start. Then I turned the key aagin, and nothing.
I sat there for 5 minutes figuring what I was going to do now. So i turned the key again, and it started like nothing was ever wrong with it.
Someone told me to replace the battery, something to do with the post/plates inside the battery.?? But I think it would of broken down on me permantly by now after having this intermitant problem on/off for 3 years now.
it doesn't seem that the garage fixed it right the first time, or maybe it just broke again.
I'm afraid to drive it anywhwere, as I don't want to be stuck somewheres..
Oh, it never looses power while driving it, or idleing, just a starting problem.
Does anyone have an answer w/o looking at it first..?

I'm a wits end!

Thank you.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

I should also add, sometimes the dash lights, lightly flicker, but not all the time, and this does not seem to affect the starting problem, as it has started ok with the flickering.
I have also connected a jumper cable to the neg- post of the battery and the other end of the jumper to the frame, then I also connected the ground to the ground strap from the firewall to the engine. The flickering still continued...?
I don't know if this is a symtom or the beginning of another problem.
I only have 51,000. miles on the truck.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:55 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You have a loose connection somewhere. You'll have to just start checking, it might not be a ground.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you.
I was also wondering if I should check and see if there is any wiring connectors under the dash or steering column..

thanks again for the reply..
Old February 22nd, 2013, 1:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by dolores49
Thank you.
I was also wondering if I should check and see if there is any wiring connectors under the dash or steering column..

thanks again for the reply..
Yes. I would recommend if you have power or even if it is off again, individually pull on/shake wires both ground and positive see if the power quits or comes on if it is off.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 2:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Check all the ground connections to the frame. From the battery to ground and any other wires you see connected to the frame or the engine.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Will do..

thank you for all the replies.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 1:16 AM
CF Beginner

Kinda sounds like it could be the ignition itself, I would check all other grounds and for loose or corroded wires and clean up if any per this would be a cheap fix. My dad had a 90 something like 6 or 7 ford ranger and he had an issue something like this. You wouldnt have this issue once its running because the alternator is keeping it running and seems to be charging the battery back because it will still start later. So I would think those connections would be ok. Try playing with the ignition switch and see if you can get it to start and or fail. just worth a try esp if you get stuck somewhere.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

yes, that was my next suspicion.

thx for that info-

have a good one.
Old March 4th, 2013, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

I would check the wire connections at the starter, the big one is the battery cable and the smaller one is the ignition..