S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

s10 blazer blinker/stereo/alternator problems

Old August 7th, 2012, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s10 blazer blinker/stereo/alternator problems

hello

a little info about it. 1988 chevy s10 blazer 4x4, been driving great then out nowhere i got a cracked radiator and something is going on electrically. one day it wouldn't star (because of a dead battery) and now my blinkers went out even the dash light for it are out..really weird thing got a jump from a guy driving buy, it started instantly then i honked my horn 2 times, really weak sound, and the s10 sputtered out...got another jump went driving and the dash lights were extremely dim and my headlights were goin out...then outa nowhere im sputtering and stalling..and i gota get another jump to start it, plus the whole time my s10 is heating up to the max...i have no idea what happened probably something got loose when i was on some trails? anyway that whats going on with it and now im stuck in the driveway..

btw i checked my fuses and they were completely fine.. stereo keeps losing power and coming back on...
Old August 8th, 2012, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

If you have an after market stereo with amplifiers, it could be excessively draining the battery and wearing out your alternator.

Put a trickle cell charger on the battery, and have the alternator checked. A trickle cell charger is best because it puts a long slow charge to the battery (which last longer than a quick charge) you can usually get these at walmart for around $20 or so.

As for the over heating, (if that is caused from some electrical problem) it may be that the battery was too low to make the electric fans operate at the speed they need to. This would cause it to over heat.
Old August 8th, 2012, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

If you have amplifiers for the stereo, I suggest getting a higher amperage output alternator, Maniac Electronics has some good factory alternators that Have been upgraded.

I put a Mazda 626 alternator on my B2200, the B2200 alt is only 55 amps, the 626 alt was 90 amps. Maniac Electronics upgraded that 626 alt to put out 140 amps. I have two JL audio amps (combined) they are drawing 70 amps at peak power, so I need an alternator that would be a bit larger so it would adequately keep my components working and have enough to charge the batter also.

Last edited by briankmizell; August 8th, 2012 at 6:11 PM.