S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Serpentine belt question

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2019, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine belt question

I'm seriously considering gutting the A/C on my "02 4.3 Blazer. I haven't turned it on more than four or five times in the last four years. I'm wondering what's the basic difference in the belt configuration (besides a shorter belt) on trucks without a compressor? Is there another idler or bracket involved?
Old August 25th, 2019, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

If it still works consider three things 1st:
1. it does have a function during your defrost setting. My 93 Sub a/c is not working and there is a difference.
2. Working a/c is a plus if ever considering re sale of the truck
3. If it's not turned on it puts no load on the motor why would you remove it?
Old August 25th, 2019, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your concerns and I do understand the downsides. The resale value is of little concern. This is a work truck. The interior is already gutted, nothing left but the two front seats. Other than the driver's seat the entire cab space is all cargo, tools, parts, and work-related supplies. There are nor ever will be any passengers whose comfort I need to satisfy. I plan to run the truck until it's of no further use to me, at which point it's value will be little more than used parts/scrap metal.
I realize that functioning A/C does play a part in the defrost cycle, but right now the leaking heater core is the major concern. I don't plan to spend three days removing, and then replacing every piece of plastic left in the truck in order to replace it. Nor do I intend to pay someone $500+ to do it for me. I plan to modify as needed the fittings on the A/C evaporator and use it as a heater core for as long as it lasts. It's main function will be for defrost/melting snow and ice from the windshield. I don't use the truck much at all in severe weather but I do get called out on occasion.
That being said, the question remains. What extra parts would be required to eliminate the compressor?
Old August 25th, 2019, 5:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

heater core for your truck is $30. you will spend much more time and $ than that trying to jimmirig a Frankenstein repair... that won't work right as the blend doors won't match...a heater core in the evaporator location will give you hot air all the time.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (August 25th, 2019)
Old August 25th, 2019, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
heater core for your truck is $30. you will spend much more time and $ than that trying to jimmirig a Frankenstein repair... that won't work right as the blend doors won't match...a heater core in the evaporator location will give you hot air all the time.
Okay. Let me deal with that. What can you tell me about the belt?
Old August 26th, 2019, 8:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

find a belt for a non ac build or find an ac pulley delete kit.

post some pics when your done.