S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

service engine soon light

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2011, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service engine soon light

I'm new here and you've probably heard this many times. Can you pull your codes without a reader???? If so how.. Don't have a book yet, but will ordering one soon. My (service engine soon light ) came on today . I checked the gas cap and disconnected the battery and reconnected to see if the light would go off . The light came on as soon as i turned the key on. Any help would be really nice (i checked the PVC valve and its good) 2001 chevy s-10 pick-up v6
Old August 2nd, 2011, 5:55 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ken1950
I'm new here and you've probably heard this many times. Can you pull your codes without a reader???? If so how.. Don't have a book yet, but will ordering one soon. My (service engine soon light ) came on today . I checked the gas cap and disconnected the battery and reconnected to see if the light would go off . The light came on as soon as i turned the key on. Any help would be really nice (i checked the PVC valve and its good) 2001 chevy s-10 pick-up v6
Don't think so with an OBD11, get a cheap scanner or take it to an auto parts store that will scan it for you.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

There is a way, but I'm not certain about yours. The check engine light flashes any active fault codes. Something like turn the ignition switch on and off 3 times, leaving it on the third time. It will flash a beginning test code of 12, which is one flash then two flashes. Ends with code 12 also I think. Something like code 32 would be three flashes then two flashes. It's not a precise diagnosis, but it gives you a starting point.
Old August 4th, 2011, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dab11999
There is a way, but I'm not certain about yours. The check engine light flashes any active fault codes. Something like turn the ignition switch on and off 3 times, leaving it on the third time. It will flash a beginning test code of 12, which is one flash then two flashes. Ends with code 12 also I think. Something like code 32 would be three flashes then two flashes. It's not a precise diagnosis, but it gives you a starting point.
Thanks i'll give that a try before i buy a reader. No local places will read it without charging you