S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Transmission Not Shifting Properly

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2014, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Not Shifting Properly

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1998 Blazer that is not shifting properly. I have searched the posts on this and other sites, but have not found a post that is 100% on point. There are many similar posts, but none exactly on point, and I'm hoping with the level of detail I'm providing someone might have an idea what is the exact problem. If I somehow missed an existing post, I apologize.

The transmission will shift through the gears fine when I start any drive, but when the vehicle stops it won't properly downshift. If I manually downshift to 1, it will only downshift into 2. Additionally, when it is having the problem, it won't shift into overdrive.

The problem almost always occurs when the transmission is cold. Weather does not seem to affect. It happens as often in winter as summer. When I say "cold" I mean only as opposed to operating temperature of the transmission. Letting the engine warm up before driving does not help either. Only the transmission's operating temperature seems to affect. This doesn't happen every time I start from cold, probably 80% - 85% of the time.

Once the transmission has achieved operating temperature, if I stop, park the vehicle, and shut it off for at least 5 minutes it usually (95% of the time) operates properly when I start going again. However, if I leave it running it will continue to not shift properly no matter how long I drive it. If I park and shut off for only 1-2 minutes, it will usually still have the problem.

The vehicle has 280k miles, but the transmission is only 50k miles used from a GM Goodwrench replacement 5 years ago. I haven't yet flushed and/or changed the fluid and filter.

In one forum, I saw a suggested repair which was cleaning the terminal at the transmission where the shift linkage is. I did try that, but the terminals were fairly clean already and it made no difference. I also purchased a new variable speed sensor, but I have yet to install it as I was hoping to get some tips from this post.

The "check engine" light is on, but when I connect my scanner it is not recognizing being connected. It keeps telling me to connect it to the vehicle. So I am unable to get any codes that might be showing for this problem. The light has been on for quite a while, even before I started having the problem with the transmission. That's not to say there are no transmission-related codes, but either way I can't seem to get a reading, so I was hoping someone might have an idea based on the information I've provided. Oh yeah, I figured it couldn't hurt to mention. The speedometer and the cruise control both work perfectly.

Any ideas?! Thanks in advance!

Jason