Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Low oil message on instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2024, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil message on instrument panel

2013 Malibu
I’ve got around 150k miles on her, I know she’s due for an oil change. I or my husband does the oil changes every 5,000-6,000 miles so we’ve always been on it. The last few oil changes, right around the 5,000 mile mark when it’s due I get an “engine oil low - add oil” message on the dash. I’ve looked under the car, there’s no visible oil leak or oil spots in the driveway. Since there’s not visible oil leak or oil spots, I’m concerned with an oil consumption issue. I was a service advisor at a Chevy dealership so I picked up on a few things and did a semester of college for automotive technology before I had to drop out due to medical issues.The only thing I can really do is basic maintenance, I’m still learning so not very good at diagnostics yet 😂 I know very mild oil consumption is normal in between oil changes, I just feel like since the low engine oil is popping up that it’s a red flag and maybe consuming more than it should? It’s only here recently that it’s been doing the low engine oil message, and it always does it right around the 5000 mile mark right around when the oil change is due. Any advice or ideas? My husband is a mechanic in the military, he’s just gone on orders right now so it can be hard to get a hold of him.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; May 1st, 2024 at 9:44 PM.
Old May 1st, 2024, 9:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 624 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Susie96
right around the 5,000 mile mark when it’s due I get an “engine oil low - add oil” message on the dash
What does the dipstick say?
Old May 2nd, 2024, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
What does the dipstick say?
there’s still oil on the tip of the dipstick, it’s about an inch away from the minimum line
Old May 2nd, 2024, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 624 Likes on 565 Posts

you should never let your oil go below minimum. It damages the engine, and leads to more oil consumption. You need to check your oil more often and top it up regularly instead of waiting until your oil change or for the warning light to come up.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (May 2nd, 2024)
Old May 2nd, 2024, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
you should never let your oil go below minimum. It damages the engine, and leads to more oil consumption. You need to check your oil more often and top it up regularly instead of waiting until your oil change or for the warning light to come up.

I’m doing my oil change this weekend, but I’ll make sure to pay better attention to the oil level in between oil changes from now on. I have about a half a quart I can use to top it off until I get to the oil change on Saturday.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 4:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Are you seeing any exhaust smoke on start up? I would start checking dip stick monthly to get an idea on consumption. My '05 Suburban was smoking on start up and got to 800 mi per quart before we got rid or it.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Are you seeing any exhaust smoke on start up? I would start checking dip stick monthly to get an idea on consumption. My '05 Suburban was smoking on start up and got to 800 mi per quart before we got rid or it.

exhaust doesn’t smoke, other than this she runs and drives perfectly fine and still does great! I’ve just noticed this with the last few oil changes.