Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

No start

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2024, 9:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No start

my 2001 tracker with the 2.0 liter 4CYL l Manuel transmission has me stumped with a crank no start condition! I've read and followed many past threads on different problems but sky and others haven't gone into details on the crank sensor behind the flywheel, that I can find. .I KNOW THE CAMSHAFT SENSOR SEEMS TO BE THE MASTR MIND OFF SPARK AND INJECTION! but I haven't read much on the C.P.S. ? This forum is by far my best source of info for my tracker period!!!Maybe with your help i can regroup and diagnose my tracker THANKS for this thread!
Old May 8th, 2024, 6:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 68 Posts

>> sky and others haven't gone into details on the crank sensor behind the flywheel,

The CMP sensor triggers the ignition coils and the fuel injectors. The CKP sensor is only used to detect small variations in crankshaft rotational speed caused by a misfire. The J20 engine wil start with the CKP sensor unplugged.
Old May 8th, 2024, 7:22 AM
CF Junior Member

L84SKY your exactly the one i wanted to reply! [ DO BELEVE I read something like that after replacing CKP sensor and rear oil seal thinking oil contamination was a issue! I was able to buy this tracker many miles ago for 400.00 dollars, because the former owner was frustrated with unpredictable stalling which after research turned out to be CMP sensor. I now have a after market one with lifetime warranty I currently ( pun intended ) have power to CMP senor BLU/BLK wire into sensor and i think I'm reading it right but power out of both the YEL/BLU and PPL/RED wires out of CMP sensor ? the plug coils will fire very randomly and I've never seen the node light- light my friend showed me that when you waved a magnet by the end of the sensor plugged in but not installed., it would send a spark to all coils.? And I'm open for all comments or suggestion's
Old May 8th, 2024, 9:48 AM
CF Senior Member

The CMP signal is on pin 2 of the sensor.

You need an oscilloscope to to see the CMP waveform
Old May 8th, 2024, 10:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When an engine cranks but doesn't start, it's usually an issue with one of these systems:
  • Ignition (sensors, coils, etc.)
  • Fuel delivery (like the fuel pump or injectors)
  • Timing (timing belt or chain)
Since you mentioned the CPS, it's worth checking it. Disconnect the CPS and use a multimeter to measure resistance across the terminals. It should typically be between 500 and 1,000 ohms, but check your car manual for the exact range.
Old May 8th, 2024, 11:24 AM
CF Junior Member

new fuel pump-check.! Timing chain replaced reluctantly by me after I showed the people i asked to help with all the proper modern diagnostic tools, even after i showed them the results of my compression test all above 170 psi ? I even put another CMP senor because I have lifetime warranty .thank you I will preform the suggested cps test THIS IS WHY I POASTED HERE THANKS AGAIN!!!
Old May 9th, 2024, 5:50 AM
CF Junior Member

thank you I've read everything ! I'm going to doctors this am and arranged to borrow a oscilloscope and hopefully its owner!,i will preform the suggested tests as soon as possible !then i will post results. THANKS PIERREGIRARD AND SKY !!!
The following users liked this post:
Pierregirard (May 9th, 2024)
Old May 9th, 2024, 10:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Let us know how it goes after the tests!
And you are more than welcome! Any time my friend!
Old May 11th, 2024, 8:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by MoterMitch
thank you I've read everything ! I'm going to doctors this am and arranged to borrow a oscilloscope and hopefully its owner!,i will preform the suggested tests as soon as possible !then i will post results. THANKS PIERREGIRARD AND SKY !!!
OK, I’m running a resistance test on the sensor itself. I put the black probe on number three terminal and probe the other two and I get no resistance. I need another one to test against. Am I doing this correctly?
Old May 11th, 2024, 10:24 AM
CF Senior Member

>> I get no resistance

Let's look at that a little closer.

It is common for beginners to think they have "no resistance" if the needle doesn't move when in reality they are actually measuring "infinite resistance." You have "no resistance" when the meter reads zero.

Digital ohmmeters indicate infinite resistance with the letters "OL" with sometimes stand for Over Limit, Over Load, or Over Loop.

A bad set of test leads or a bad connection will display as an open circuit so short the meter leads together before every measurement.
The display must go to zero each time. Most digital ohmmeters don't produce enough current to forward-bias a transistor so an "open"
reading on semiconductors is usually meaningless. The oscilloscope is best way to see if a sensor is working.

Quick Reply: No start