Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

No start

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2024, 5:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoterMitch
hello, I just thought I would throw that out there.im also wondering if I pull the valve cover if I could set the cam in a certain way and check the alignment on the signal rotor? as I've said any help, or suggestions would be appreciated!!!! THANKS
FYI this has been a long going process! Luckly, I have multiple vehicles! after exhausting all my Resorces and ability's I arranged a deal where I put the tracker on my trailer and towed it to a friend's shop where they have all the modern tools and techs, with the understanding they would help me diagnose the problem when it got slow at the shop. Well, there star tech would look at it while I wasn't present to learn or offer my knowledge of the vehicle's history. Hence the timing chain and computer!!! Thats when the shop owner said sometimes you have to give up and move on! so I moved on! but I haven't given up! no worries it's their scanner I'm using to try a figure this vehicle out. There's more to the stories, but you already rolled your eyes back and lost interest thanks for your time!
Old May 17th, 2024, 7:39 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 68 Posts

>> injectors don't seem to be getting any signal
If the injectors were the only problem, the engine woud have run on starter fluid. instead you got this:

>> a little sign of life followed by a backfire
That certainly sounds like a timing issue.

>> lot of unusual noise coming from intake side while cranking
Did it sound like the injectors knocking?

>> check the alignment on the signal rotor
The way to check spark timing is to lock the PCM at 5° with a factory level scanner and watch the crankshaft pulley with a timing light.

You are quickly reaching the point where you are going to need specialized equipment to locate the problem.

A current clamp for your oscilloscope would let you find out if fuel injector pulses are present.

These are the test points for my V6 engine.
Old May 17th, 2024, 7:46 AM
CF Junior Member

thanks, sky I have purpose and direction and I think I will double check my compression and timing marks again!
Old May 17th, 2024, 9:24 AM
CF Senior Member

>> I will double check my compression and timing marks

I suppose it's possible to align all the timing marks correctly when the #1 cylinder is at TDC on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.
Old May 17th, 2024, 4:19 PM
CF Senior Member

This probably isn't the issue but,

the cam sprockets have both arrows and lines. The arrows point to painted links on the chain.The lines are the timing marks.
Old May 20th, 2024, 10:19 AM
CF Junior Member

thanks again SKY you always provide the best information! I did another compression test all around 200 one not quite but very close. I'm going to borrow the current clamp,and run the test and get back to you THANK YOU!
Old May 20th, 2024, 2:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MoterMitch
my 2001 tracker with the 2.0 liter 4CYL l Manuel transmission has me stumped with a crank no start condition! I've read and followed many past threads on different problems but sky and others haven't gone into details on the crank sensor behind the flywheel, that I can find. .I KNOW THE CAMSHAFT SENSOR SEEMS TO BE THE MASTR MIND OFF SPARK AND INJECTION! but I haven't read much on the C.P.S. ? This forum is by far my best source of info for my tracker period!!!Maybe with your help i can regroup and diagnose my tracker THANKS for this thread!
If you're curious about what's going on with your car, grabbing an OBD-II scanner is a handy move. It can tell you if there are any trouble codes stored in the computer. Specifically, if you spot codes like P0335 or P0340, it could mean there's something up with the CPS or CKP sensors.
Old May 20th, 2024, 3:22 PM
CF Senior Member

>> I'm going to borrow the current clamp

If the crank/no-start was strictly the result of a no fuel condition the engine would have run when the starter fluid was administered. If I'm reading between the lines correctly the engine doesn't even fire when the starter fluid is not present. So it sounds like fuel is a problem but not the only problem. Also you mentioned random firing of the igintion coils. The current probe should tell you if the fuel injectors are getting consistent current pulses. If so, are you getting consistant spark at the plugs? The current probe may show if you are getting pulses to the coil packs. Not sure where to connect the current probe on the 4-cylinder to test for coil current.

Last edited by L84sky; May 20th, 2024 at 3:50 PM.
Old May 20th, 2024, 6:37 PM
CF Junior Member

I've read everything and I'm definitely getting schooled on this quest thanks for your help! I have the current clap and the charger for the scanner. I think you know I have little experience with this level of diagnostics! and will definitely be in the market for a scanner (USED) for older cars that's where I'm comfortable and affordable! So, tomorrow is going be research and development. I will either post results or ask questions have a good evening!
Old May 20th, 2024, 8:31 PM
CF Senior Member

>> in the market for a scanner

Here are some options for modern scanners:
Ivan is an awesome tech.

Personally I have a Tech 2 clone (with the GM module) I bought from AliExpress. It's the same scanner the dealer used back when my car was new and the one called out in the factory service manual.

Quick Reply: No start