Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

08 Silverado instrument panel stopped working

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2014, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Silverado instrument panel stopped working

Started my truck up this morning and noticed that my instrument panel had stopped working. Speedometer sits a 0 RPM's sit at 1000, engine temp is at 160, not sure if the fuel gauge will move yet, E-brake light stays on as well as the seatbelt light and the airbag light. Also noticed that the passenger seat airbag notification said off while my son was sitting in the passenger seat. Last time I saw a problem like this was in my 04 sierra. That truck was sold before I had a chance to look into this. If anyone has an idea I would greatly appreciate it.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:11 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by randykersker
Started my truck up this morning and noticed that my instrument panel had stopped working. Speedometer sits a 0 RPM's sit at 1000, engine temp is at 160, not sure if the fuel gauge will move yet, E-brake light stays on as well as the seatbelt light and the airbag light. Also noticed that the passenger seat airbag notification said off while my son was sitting in the passenger seat. Last time I saw a problem like this was in my 04 sierra. That truck was sold before I had a chance to look into this. If anyone has an idea I would greatly appreciate it.
Hey randykersker,

I can definitely help you get an appointment at a preferred dealership to get this concern diagnosed. If you would like me to so, can you please PM me your VIN, current mileage, contact info and preferred dealership? Thanks!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 4th, 2014, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have similar problem with our 2003 Suburban, although it occurred incrementally. First, we noticed the fuel gauge was not working accurately---might show over F and stay there although the trip range calculator kept working. Then, a week or so later, the fuel gauge worked fine; then it didn't. A few months ago, noticed the speedometer was reading about 40 mph as I drove with traffic on an empty freeway with traffic going at least 70. When I stopped, speedometer dropped to about 38 mph. Then it worked again the next day; then it didn't. Now, the tachometer has also stopped working. So, we don't have any speed indication or fuel reading.

We really don't want to have all replaced for $1000 or so plus tearing up the dash. Any suggestions? Is it feasible to purchase a used module from a yard? Might there be some easy fix such as reconnecting a ground? Dealer isn't interested in doing less than full replacement.

Last edited by Wetzer; April 4th, 2014 at 3:22 PM. Reason: add year and model information