Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

1990 Silverado Wiper Problem

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2018, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Sierra was doing the same thing, purchased the 40-158 and it fit, but when I turned on the switch the wipers went to rest and never moved again. I noticed smoke coming from the pulse board area which is not a good sign. Anyone have a link to show how to trouble shoot shorts?
Old April 20th, 2018, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Yikes!
Morning all, new guy here with the same problem. NAPA doesn't carry anything and a local Stealership carries a replacement for PN 22072683 for ~$150. It rains and snows here, I'm almost ready to bite the bullet.

Dan
Old September 14th, 2018, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default I’m not alone! I’m not crazy!

After months of searching forums and YouTube videos for ways to fix my faulty wiper switch, motor, relay, control, or whatever on my 1989 GMC V2500 Suburban, I thought I was the only person who didn’t have the “C” shaped (as it’s been called above) wiper control module. Somehow, after all this time, *this* post shows up and I discover I’M NOT ALONE! Thank you. My problem: I can turn the wipers on, and they run slow or fast, but the delay doesn’t, uh, delay (just runs at usual “slow” speed), and the wipers do not turn off, unless I twist the switch back — the spring loaded “mist” switch — and release it, in which case the wiper motor turns off and wipers arms stop moving the moment I release it. So, here in Oregon where it’s drizzly/misty much of the winter, I’ve had to become proficient at timing the release of the “mist” with the moment when the wipers hit what should normally be the “off” position. In fact I generally manually run the wipers by using the “mist” twist — twist back and hold until the wipers complete a cycle or two, then release the switch when the wipers return to “off” position. It’s a pain-in-the-****.

I’m going to see if I can find the wiper control module based on an earlier reply — something about a long rectangular shaped thing to the left of the motor, with a plug on the left side of it. I’ll try to unplug it, clean the contacts, and apply dielectric grease to see if it works. If it doesn’t, I’ll try to remove the module, and see if I can crack it open to see if there are cracked solder connections that I can attempt to fix with my very limited soldering skills. I’ll take some photos (not sure if I can upload them?) and report back on results... just in case there’s another lost soul with an ‘89 or ‘90 Chevy/GMC truck with the mysterious non-C-shaped wiper control module.

Last edited by informative; September 14th, 2018 at 1:41 PM.
Old September 14th, 2018, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

So... I don’t have a clue where to find the wiper control module on this beast. I’ve unplugged the two plugs into the wiper motor assembly, and traced those wires to... well, it looks like they dive into that blocky bundle of wires that’s attached to the firewall — looks like all the wires that go through the firewall. I can’t seem to find anything on the engine side of the firewall that looks like it could be a wiper control module. Any hints? Is there a relay/control kind of thing *inside* the truck, like near that hard to reach/explore fuse box under the dash?

I’ll attempt to upload photos.

“Big Brown” as the kids like to call her. 1989 GMC V2500 Suburban. Faulty wiper switch or controller module thingy. But... not the same wiper motor and controller that most of the rest of the Chevy/GMC world seems to have gotten in this era.

Here’s the wiper motor on my 1989 GMC V2500 Suburban — notably *not* with the “C-shaped” wiper control module mounted at the top. (So... where is it?)

I unplugged the connectors on the wiper motor — 2 of them — cleaned them, although they didn’t look bad and connections were snug. After plugging back in... wipers worked (poorly) same as always.

A wider shot of the wiper motor area. I’ve crawled up on there and poked my head and fingers all around back there... can’t find anything that looks like a wiper controller. You?
Old September 24th, 2019, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cardone 40-185

Originally Posted by Haner
I have a wiper problem and have narrowed it down to the pulse module. My problem is the pulse module in my truck is an older rectangular model, not the 'C' shaped one that is readily available at stores and on the net.

Does anyone know how to obtain or repair this older model pulse module?

Thanks.

Old January 25th, 2020, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2020 and have the mysterious Pulse controller.

Well I see my issue has been a problem since 2011. Haner theres at least 5 of us that have that pulse board. Yours still working if you still have the truck? What a pain!
Old September 2nd, 2020, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default Wipers Won't Park

So I replaced my old style wiper motor with the new C-style and it seemed to fix my intermittency and my sprayers but I'm still having theissue of the wipers not sitting in the park position at the bottom of the windshield. I took the blades back off and manually turned the gear arm to the left most spot and reconnected the blades and when I turned the truck on they automatically went back to the top position. Its as if it thinks the top of the windshield is the park position. I already tried two different motherboards so I can't imagine that's the problem. Not seeing anything anywhere about someone having this problem on our trucks. I see some people on youtube have posted about little metal tabs not being bent the right way on their cars but this vehicle doesn't have that from what I can see unless I'm just missing something. Any help would be appreciated!
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Old September 3rd, 2020, 1:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Taylor Privitt
So I replaced my old style wiper motor with the new C-style and it seemed to fix my intermittency and my sprayers but I'm still having theissue of the wipers not sitting in the park position at the bottom of the windshield. I took the blades back off and manually turned the gear arm to the left most spot and reconnected the blades and when I turned the truck on they automatically went back to the top position. Its as if it thinks the top of the windshield is the park position. I already tried two different motherboards so I can't imagine that's the problem. Not seeing anything anywhere about someone having this problem on our trucks. I see some people on youtube have posted about little metal tabs not being bent the right way on their cars but this vehicle doesn't have that from what I can see unless I'm just missing something. Any help would be appreciated!
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
that problem has happened intermittently with mine as well till I turn off the engine or hit the wiper switch a time or 2. Haven't figured out what the problem was.
Old September 3rd, 2020, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Christopher Carlson
that problem has happened intermittently with mine as well till I turn off the engine or hit the wiper switch a time or 2. Haven't figured out what the problem was.
So that never fixed the issue for me. I see what happened though. When I bought the new wiper motor it didn't come with the arm and I had use the one in the old motor and when I put it on the new motor I didn't put it in a certain direction but there is a specific line up it needs to know where to put it in park. I basically had to keep putting it on/taking it off until the arm lined up with the spot on the motor it seemed the bottom of the windshield.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for sharing this issue , my 88 Silverado just started doing this on me , I'm replacing,fixing whatever I can as I find it before it goes into the body shop for the big ticket items I can't do myself.
The wipers acting up just ticked me off each time , now I can fix it and move on to the Headers .