Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1992 Chevy Cheyenne

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2011, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Chevy Cheyenne

Well, This truck has been in my family forever, 263,000+ miles on it and it still runs strong, nothing has been majorly wrong, have replaced the clutch and brakes, just your regular not major problems. This is the 305 5 speed 2wd single cab shortbox version. I love this truck to death, I put it through a pavement princess stage with 24 inch rims, then my blazer broke so I put some all terrains on the cheyenne and some cragers and been takin it to the mud pit every weekend while I rebuild the blazer....the cheyenne dont get me anywhere like the blazer does but it gets me to the fire/mud pit.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my truck, im eventually going to make it into a prerunner and will keep all updates to this truck on the forum because im pretty social, love to talk about trucks and always learn new stuff. Heres a picture of it with the 24s and then some pictures of its current stage.

This truck has been broken into twice, both after a long night of wheelin, they tried steeling it each time, but I have an autotheft switch that they will never find
Attached Thumbnails 1992 Chevy Cheyenne-269913_210288389007328_100000785066862_507657_216254_a.jpg   1992 Chevy Cheyenne-img_20110831_151932.jpg   1992 Chevy Cheyenne-img_20111013_171227.jpg   1992 Chevy Cheyenne-img_20111016_111831.jpg  
Old October 17th, 2011, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation

Question, Sometimes while driving I notice the truck shaking/wobbling, happens when I break to, any ideas what could cause this?
Old October 17th, 2011, 4:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's happening while braking it's most likely warped rotors. If while driving could be a few different things. Could be that you need new ball joints, could be your tire/rims are out of balance, could be an issue with the tire itself,....

Do you hear any noise with it?
Old October 17th, 2011, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

love the truck, I drive a Cheyenne as well

when it shakes, is it after you went mudding?
Old October 17th, 2011, 6:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome fellow washingtonian!!!!! i was born and raised in renton. lived in covington couple years, last lived in bonney lake before moving to kentucky. always nice to see "neighbors" here. nice lookin rig for sure.

as for the wobble its probably the infamous chevy "death wobble" if its rather severe. just means pitman and idler arms need replaced. easy job. my 97 tahoe had this happen, replaced both arms, no more wobble. i do suggest if this is the problem, pay few extra bucks for the higher quality stuff. some will say it doesn't matter, but as someone who works in the auto parts business, i see alot of the cheaper stuff fail quickly.

Last edited by maxxman04; October 17th, 2011 at 6:40 PM.
Old October 17th, 2011, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the info guys, to answer your questions, I do think ball joints have part in the problem. No it does not make any noise. It started after a few times of wheelin/muddin, it doesnt happen right after I get outa the woods, just happens randomly, it does not happen all the time while breaking.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the complements.
Old October 18th, 2011, 8:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeattlesRedneck
Thanks for all the info guys, to answer your questions, I do think ball joints have part in the problem. No it does not make any noise. It started after a few times of wheelin/muddin, it doesnt happen right after I get outa the woods, just happens randomly, it does not happen all the time while breaking.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the complements.
With this it may very well be your ball joints then but before you replace ANY parts check for clumps of mud/dirt stuck to the inside of your wheels since you said it started after a few times of muddin. If there are clumps of dried mud stuck on the inside of your wheels it'll throw the balance off and cause the symptoms you're experiencing.
Old October 18th, 2011, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 91Caprice
With this it may very well be your ball joints then but before you replace ANY parts check for clumps of mud/dirt stuck to the inside of your wheels since you said it started after a few times of muddin. If there are clumps of dried mud stuck on the inside of your wheels it'll throw the balance off and cause the symptoms you're experiencing.

Copy that thanks, Ill do that today after I fix my breaks.

UPDATE, Put new lights in my truck, they are just some brighter driving lights, but have a cool 7 color LED feature as well. I have them tucked away in my grill, I currently only have a picture at night but Ill take one today of the lights inside the girl, here is a picture with the red LED feature. (I wont take a picture of all 7 LEDs.) And a picture with the running lights.
Attached Thumbnails 1992 Chevy Cheyenne-img_20111017_190025.jpg   1992 Chevy Cheyenne-img_20111017_190040.jpg  
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

So my gauge is 5mph fast, how do I fix that? Sometimes when I release the clutch in first gear, the speedometer shoots up to 60 then back to where it should be in less than a second, also if im in neutral and move the stick and click 4th gear (not going into it) it makes the needle bounce. Kinda weird, not a big deal, was wondering if its fixable? If it is im not sure if id fix it right away cause id really have to get into the habit of the needle being correct instead of 5mph fast.

Also, havnt done my breaks yet, gona do them this weekend, apparently there is 2 different size break shoes possible in the drum, really stupid.....gotta take em out and measure. I think it should just be 1 size for that little truck, why did they make 2?
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there's 10 bolt or 12 bolt rearends. there is also light and heavy duty options for brakes on the 10 bolt.

Quick Reply: 1992 Chevy Cheyenne