Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

1997 1500 wiper motor

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2006, 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 1500 wiper motor

As I stated above I have a 1997 Chev Silverado. Does anyone know how to go about removing the windowshield wiper motor? My wipers were intermittingly working and then they just stopped. I have been told it may be my wiper motor or it may be something to do the Chevy Comuter Board. Has anyone else has a similar problem?

Wet Windshield in Florida...

Jeff
venable5762@yahoo.com
Old November 19th, 2006, 1:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 1997 1500 wiper motor

You might check with the dealer. There was a recall on those a couple of years ago. They replaced mine but the connection to the reservoir has leaked ever since. I didn't notice it until it was too late.

good luck

chevyblues
Old November 20th, 2006, 2:57 PM
CF Junior Member

I had the same thing on my '95. There is a circut board (or whatever you call it) on the wiper motor itself that goes bad. It (the circut board) can be purchaced at most auto parts stores. Don't remember the price but think it was under $30. And if I remember correctly (I've drank since then), I didn't even have to remove the moter to replace it. Hopefully your '97 is the same, it will be an easy fix!
Old November 28th, 2006, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Remove the electrical connector, then remove the two torx screws. Then loosen the lower screw, but do not fully remove it. You will have to loosen it enough so that the cover can come off. Next remove the circuit board by pulling on the black plastic electrical connector. There are 3 spade terminals just below where the center screw was located. These are the power terminals for the wiper motor. They may release from the wiper motor alittle hard so if necessary, pry out on the circuit board with a small screw driver right along the wiper motor.

Once you have the board out, the areas most prone to failure are the ones right where the plugs goes in. To the right is the main electrical connector solder pads and to the left is solder pads for the wiper motor. If you take a look at them, the way to identify a cold solder is if the surface of the solder is dull looking. Mine looked great so I did not resolder anything. If yours are dull or you can see cracking in the solder, heat the solder until it flows and then allow to cool off.

If you need to take off the motor you will need to take off the wiper blades then remove the plastic strip below the windshield then loosen the 4 nuts and remove the wiper arms to the motor. Un plug the connecter and remove the 3 bolts from the wiper motor and remove such.

Old December 4th, 2006, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks so much for getting back with me on my wiper problem. I am accustom to difficult solutions. I couldn't just replace the circuit board, I had to replace the motor too! It's never an easy fix! I wouldn't have known where to start if not for the help I received on this site! If your ever visiting Florida give me a shout. I hope I can repay the favor one day!

Your fellow Chevy lover! (I think)

Jeff (Brutus)

Old December 4th, 2006, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Smokin!

Got a question for you. How do you remove the plastic shield accross the bottom of the windshield. I've removed all four screws and it's still locked on there. I've got to be missing something, but what? As I previously stated, it's never an easy fix.

Please help!

Jeff aka Brutus
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:12 AM
CF Junior Member

You shouldn't have to remove any shield. The motor is accessible through the engine compartment. Just pull the wiper motor cover and you will see the circuit board.