Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1998 SILVERADO FUEL PUMP GOING BAD?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 6:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 SILVERADO FUEL PUMP GOING BAD?

Hi all, I am wondering if any of you guys ever had afuel pump go bad on your trucks around my year, and what are some of the symptoms. Mine chugs pretty good going up hill at higher speeds and when i shut it off i can hear the pump still running for up to 15 to 20 seconds. i checked running fuel pressure and it is good. Any ideas?
Old May 1st, 2007, 3:40 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 1998 SILVERADO FUEL PUMP GOING BAD?

have you changed the filter? start there, thats the chepest place to start if you dont have a check enigine light.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

Yes i have changed the filter also plugs , plug wires , cap, rotor. I am running out of things to change. Thanks for the response.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 8:28 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

fuel dont gradually go, usually they just quit and that is it....check the injectors, maybe o2 sensor, causeing it some grief..
Old May 2nd, 2007, 9:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MalibuMaxxSS

fuel dont gradually go, usually they just quit and that is it....check the injectors, maybe o2 sensor, causeing it some grief..
It's not always suddenly and permanent. I have had two Suburbans where they went out gradually. On the last one, the vehicle first died while sitting at a stop light. Then it would die randomly while idling or while running fast or slow. It would always start right back up after just a few seconds. It died 3 times going to the shop to get the pump replaced, but it got there.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 3:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like I said USUALLY they dont I wouldstill clean the injectors or check them see if they are still sparying good, or could be stupid o2 sensor causing you grief but that would give you an engine light I would think
Old May 5th, 2007, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

have a friend who had that going on and did'nt show engine light or code and it was the throttle position switch was bad change it solved problem
Old May 6th, 2007, 3:00 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks you guys for the feedback. Its like trying to find a needle in a haystack............
Old May 8th, 2007, 2:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Malibumaxxss, it is possible for a fuel pump to go out gradually and a lot more common then you think. On old cars most of them did just go on new cars they seem to be going slowly. I had a 91 corsica that drove form Cedar Rapids, IA to Little Rock Ak. It ran fine the whole way shut if off ate dinner wouldn't start. Got it started the next morning with starting fluid and drove it to Shreveport LA.

Cheesehead,
I would buy a Haynes book and see what it says to check for those symptoms. It should tell you how to check all the sensors. You will need a multimeter to do that though. But take your time and you will do fine.
Old May 8th, 2007, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Kcb37, I will go to napa and try to get that book.

Quick Reply: 1998 SILVERADO FUEL PUMP GOING BAD?