Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1999 silverado 1500 problems

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2010, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 silverado 1500 problems

hi, we bought a 99 silverado 1/2 ton from a good friend for $1500 and since we've bought it ive noticed some things that kinda bug me when driving it. one of them is a starting problem. i could wake up in the morning and start it and it starts up no problem. but after driving it to like walmart or someplace and after being off for a while id come back to start it and it take a while. now ive read about fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulators, and i even thought it could be the tps, but i dont know. my 2nd problem is when im taking off. btw this has a 4.3l v6 with a 5 speed. i dont really care for automatic. when i take off i notice the truck jerks sometimes like it misses or something. its not a normal jerk i dont think, but this is my first chevy so im not too sure. (had a 91 f250 with the 351w). 3 is the abs and brake lights. when i got the truck home, i noticed several days later there was black electrical tape covering the abs and brake lights. so when i replaced 2 of the cluster lights i pulled the cover off and then pulled the tape off. so idk what to troubleshoot there. there was 1 more but its not as important as these. heh. any help would be very appreciated. and i am new to newer model trucks, this is my first truck with this type of computer and sensors.
Old November 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 98 with 5.7 I am new too so take what I say with a grain of salt. My truck would crank up fine when it was cold i.e first thing in the morning drive 20 miles cut it off to fill up the tank get back in and it would crank like I had a dead battery. Very slow and then finally kick it over. I changed the starter and problem solved.
Good luck
Duke
Old November 28th, 2010, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

It has a new starter already.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

i guess nobody has had this problem?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 8:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Assuming your truck is new body style, sounds like a bad fuel pressure regulator for your first problem. Located on the fuel rail driver side. $46.99 at O'Reilly Auto parts. Takes 5 minutes to change.

Second problem could be a worn clutch or a number of other things. When has the clutch been changed & how many miles?

Third problem is probably your ABS Control Module. Located on the driver side frame rail around the door/front of bed area. But it could be something as simple as an ABS sensor or ground. You need to have the ABS codes retrieved to be 100% certain. Code is C0265. Any check engine lights on?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 9:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2. sounds like the clutch or the pressure plate bearing. Who knows? How many miles on this? expensive for a new clutch because th transmission has to come out to put it in...

3. ABS control modules are expensive, forget it. I mean real expensive...

$1500 for your friends truck?
Old January 4th, 2011, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

ok ill try the regulator. no check engine lights. ive hooked up the obd2 reader and never get a code. the trucks got 158xxx miles on it and i beleive its the original clutch. and yes, $1,500.
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

fuel pressure regulator....now that i start thinkin about it, when it does finally get started up it acts like theres a lack of fuel for a few seconds.
Old June 8th, 2014, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Problem with Message Center and gauges

While driving the Message Center flashed the Battery, Security, and Low Fuel lights. The Fuel gauge fell to Empty and back up again. The Spedometer needle also bounced a few times. The truck acted normal except for the dash. This happened 2 diff times once it started I had to shut the truck completely off and turn it back on and it was good for awhile. Any recommendations?

This is a 1999 Silverado K1500 ext cab automatic.

Last edited by silveradostrong90; June 8th, 2014 at 3:50 PM. Reason: add year and style
Old October 1st, 2019, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Starting

I have a 145 amp alternator and i have no issues with starting try that

Quick Reply: 1999 silverado 1500 problems