Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1st post brake question

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2006, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1st post brake question

I just replaced my rotors on my 1996 305. My brakes were pulsating. Not all of the time though.
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

So in other words my brakes will work like they normally do 99% of the time if I just remove a fuse, or spend 600$ to have new sensors put in and then have ABS back, its that simple?
Old March 25th, 2007, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

I replaced the low speed sensor and this did not fix the problem. I'm having the same issue with my 2001 silverado 4x4 1500.
Also put new tires on, still did not help.

Do I have to replace the sensor in the front as well? (the $600 one)
Old October 9th, 2008, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

1. I have a 1998 Silverado. In 2005, I had both front hubs replaced to correct this problem. The ABS activates erroneously when just coming to a stop, and if you aren't prepared for this and keep pressing down the pedal, yes, you'll have trouble stopping and can roll into something.

2. There was a corrosion/repair recall that affected 1999 and later, but not 1998, so I am out of luck there.

3. It cost $600 to have both hubs replaced. Now, only 3 years later, the same problem has recurred. Now the cost is $950 because the front hubs are so much more expensive. I called Chevrolet customer service. They will not pay for even a part of the repair, because the truck is so old, EVEN THOUGH it is only a 3-year-old system that has failed AGAIN.

4. Needless to say, this is the last Chevrolet I will ever buy. This truck is beautiful, but it is a maintenance nightmare. ABS, fuel pump, blower motor, broken door handles, failed radio lights, leaking intake manifold gasket - quite a littany of "non-routine" things that are expensive to fix.

5. The dealership doesn't blame me. They said I could remove the ABS fuse and that would disable the ABS system. That's what I'm going to do. The fuses are all clearly marked. I'm sure I can find it.

Without the fuse, they will just be regular disc brakes. That's just fine by me.

SO YES... This is a way to get rid of the problem without spending a dime.

EDITORIAL:
As far as being "afraid" to drive without ABS. GIVE ME A BREAK! (no pun intended) We all drove for decades without ABS. Good drivers knew how to not tromp down on the pedal, how to keep the wheels from locking up in snow, in ice, in a panic. Suddenly, the world can't live without a computer doing this FOR US??? Yes, the ABS can pulse and react more quickly. But be serious. For all the millions of dollars these systems cost to develop, sell, repair,,, is this really worthwhile? Wouldn't we be better off spending those millions to get more people to wear seatbelts?

ABS - Boondoggle. Unneeded. Expensive. Trouble-prone.

I'd have been quite happy to pay $1000 less for the truck and not have them at all.