Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 silverado motor oil

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2008, 3:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2007 silverado motor oil

thanks buddy
Old February 28th, 2008, 7:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 silverado motor oil

Bought 6 qts of 5w30 and a K&N oil filter last night and will be changing my oil tonight. switching from Penzoil Platinum (which i looked on their website and couldnt determine whether it is a true synthetic or a synthetic with base mineral oil) anyways, will see if there is any differences at all.
Old August 10th, 2010, 5:01 AM
CF Beginner

You can use any of the good brand as they are made with the same combination. Brand does not matter much as I have used most of the brands and have received the same effect.
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
CF Active Member

i use rotela 15w 40 in everything (wix filter)
(4wheeler lawnmower cars dads truck)
also it does depend were live some times the thickness depends on how hot or cold it is there
Old August 10th, 2010, 5:25 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Cpb200
i use rotela 15w 40 in everything (wix filter)
(4wheeler lawnmower cars dads truck)
also it does depend were live some times the thickness depends on how hot or cold it is there
Hopefully I'm never a buyer of one of your cars. Seriously, there is a reason they put a recommended oil in your manual.
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:08 PM
CF Active Member

my dads a chevy master technition so he knows the right stuff to use
never had a problem with anything friends of mine have diesils and use the same
i dont see the big problem with it but i dont believe in synthetic stuff

ps. as long as your no were close to louisiana then you dont have to worry bout buying anything

edit:just incase anyones curious me and my dads truc have the 6.0
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tsduke
Hopefully I'm never a buyer of one of your cars. Seriously, there is a reason they put a recommended oil in your manual.
Hey bud you do know they recommend that you not change any air filter other than factory spec, and guess what? Believe it or not, your engine will have a better flow of air if you change it to an aftermarket, and its the weirdest thing, almost the same thing for exhaust...but I guess over 95% of people on here you shouldn't buy a vehicle from b/c they have changed some kind of factory spec....get real man, not trying to bash you, but the recommended things most manufactures put on vehicles is the cheapest/effective way to make a vehicle run good for 100k after that good luck.
I'm not saying buy anything has been upgraded, just know that in this case oil has different viscosities (ie 5w30, 10w30, 5w20) based on the climate, so before you start talking perhaps you should do a bit of research....maybe google search? perhaps if you scroll to the top of the page and find a button that says "Search" it may be of some kind of help. Sorry in advance, been drinking tonight, and reading on several forums and getting irritated on my Toyota forum
Old August 11th, 2010, 1:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Chevron 20W50 oil.
It is inexpensive, sold damn near everywhere, and contains an additive that helps you get better gas mileage.
Old August 11th, 2010, 7:58 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by my-4x4
Hey bud you do know they recommend that you not change any air filter other than factory spec, and guess what? Believe it or not, your engine will have a better flow of air if you change it to an aftermarket, and its the weirdest thing, almost the same thing for exhaust...but I guess over 95% of people on here you shouldn't buy a vehicle from b/c they have changed some kind of factory spec....get real man, not trying to bash you, but the recommended things most manufactures put on vehicles is the cheapest/effective way to make a vehicle run good for 100k after that good luck.
I'm not saying buy anything has been upgraded, just know that in this case oil has different viscosities (ie 5w30, 10w30, 5w20) based on the climate, so before you start talking perhaps you should do a bit of research....maybe google search? perhaps if you scroll to the top of the page and find a button that says "Search" it may be of some kind of help. Sorry in advance, been drinking tonight, and reading on several forums and getting irritated on my Toyota forum
First you say your not trying to bash me, but....

I don't need to search anything. Everyone has there own experiences and opinion. You say aftermarket air filter is better. I say waste of money. How do you think they get better air flow from aftermart filters? More air = more dirt.

I absolutely agree that climate plays a big role, but using 20w 50 in place of 5w 30... In a hot climate I can maybe see the 50, but jumping to a 20w instead of 5w to me just isn't good. Again, my opinion.

I have a 5.3 that the owner changed like clockwork every 3k. Used 10w 40. Truck was babied, but at 50K 3 pistons had worn through the skirting. Was the oil to blame? Maybe/maybe not, but I'll stick with 5w 30 all year or 10w 30 in Iowa summers.
Old August 11th, 2010, 9:05 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tsduke
You say aftermarket air filter is better. I say waste of money. How do you think they get better air flow from aftermart filters? More air = more dirt.
I tend to agree,
a filter that is 10in by 12in can only filter so much, to increase filtration you will end up reducing air flow and vis-versa better flow less filtration, This is for the most part, granted you can start using more exotic filter medium but then the cost starts to outweigh the benefits...
The best way is to increase the surface area of the filter medium that way you have optimum filtration without decreasing air flow capacity....

I use the OEM filter on my 07 Tahoe 5.3 and change it every 6mo

Quick Reply: 2007 silverado motor oil