Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 Sierra 5.3 Collapsed Lifter

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2019, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Sierra 5.3 Collapsed Lifter

My 2014 Sierra 5.3 is in the shop for collapsed lifter. Looking at internet post I have found several examples of my exact experience.
Went to dealership, had oil changed, ran fine for a few miles, started missing real bad, check engine light came on and traction control light came on.
Limped it back to the dealership, they stated collapsed lifter #1 cyl intake. Seems to be a very common story. Has there been no recalls or legal suits made about this?
Seems like a lot of money being made at dealerships over this problem.
My extended warranty ran out about 2000 miles ago, now I'm screwed.
Any advice or information?
Old November 4th, 2019, 3:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

mechanical parts fail. I work for dodge...it happens to us also. keep your receipts...if a recall is every issued for this problem....you would be re-inbursed. IMO Don't run extended mileage oil changes.
Old November 4th, 2019, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Anything made by man is prone to fail, I understand the philosophical truths. However this goes beyond something as mundane as "Crap Happens".
There have been ongoing problem of catastrophic failures for years now, with GM basically ignoring them until someone shoves a lawsuit up their noses.
I bought, or should I say buying, this truck as my last vehicle. Retired now and drawing disability. Money don't grown on trees around my house. Problems started 2 weeks after purchase.
AC went out. Come to find out this year and style of truck received bad AC condensers. No recall. Extended warranty did pay after some hubbub. Later GM did issue a recall and I was reimbursed (kept my receipts like you said).
Warranty ran out 2000 + / - miles ago, and lifter collapsed. No recall although this has been happening since 2005.
All I want is for GM to stand by their products. If there is a factory defect Offer to fix it. Or at least help out with the expense.
Old November 4th, 2019, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

2,000 mi is very little. Refusing to help on such a technicality would not look good on them. Have you approached the dealer about it? Or GM corporate? Try sending them a letter.
Old November 4th, 2019, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
2,000 mi is very little. Refusing to help on such a technicality would not look good on them. Have you approached the dealer about it? Or GM corporate? Try sending them a letter.
I did call the customer help line and spoke with someone who E-Mailed me a voucher for $100.00 to give to the Dealer to help with cost. I do appreciate the effort, but still gonna cost me over $5000.00 to get something fixed that should have been corrected long before my truck ever rolled off the line.
Old November 4th, 2019, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Well you don't have to accept their first offer. The job of first tier of customer service is to weed out the people who give up easily. Ask for someone who has more clout and grind them a bit. I wouldn't settle for less than 50%.
Old November 5th, 2019, 1:21 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Well you don't have to accept their first offer. The job of first tier of customer service is to weed out the people who give up easily. Ask for someone who has more clout and grind them a bit. I wouldn't settle for less than 50%.
x2 dont give up keep pushing even if you have to call everyday.
Old November 6th, 2019, 9:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

goodwill repairs must meet certain criteria. make sure you are speaking to the dealer who sold you the vehicle. If you are at a dealership that has never seen you before...you won't get goodwill repair.
from what I have seen... make sure they know:
-you just bought it 2 weeks ago
-the warranty just ran out
-you just retired and are a fixed disability income
-don't ask for goodwill....ask for help covering the costs..50%. if you directly ask for goodwill...you won't get it.
-if they could split the cost...you would be their customer forever. keep the attitude that if they can help you they would be the hero. make them want to help you.
-don't mention all your negative beliefs...
-you think this should be a recall...recalls are not determined by the folks that decide goodwill
-its been a fault since 2005..afm was introduced in the 5.3 in 2007
-contacting a lawyer threatening them won't help your case.

Last edited by tech2; November 6th, 2019 at 9:39 PM.