Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

87 350 missing and running rough

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2008, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 350 missing and running rough

Hi guys i recently bought this truck about 6 months ago and just now starting to drive it more.I have noticed that when i and sitting at a stop light or stopped anywhere that the truck seems to miss a little and shutter some and when i take of easy it does good but if i get in the gas kinda 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it seems a little sluggish and hesitant but then all of sudden it will take the fuel and pick up speed.Almost like a dirty fuel filter or something like that.I bought this truck from a friend and he owned it for about a year and it is in wonderful shape and everything works great ac electric windows all the gauges read correctly even the clock keeps time but it just runs like crap and it aggrevates me to have such good looking truck that runs like that.It has a 350 with TBI 700r4 trans. np 208 transfer case.It runs the same weather the ac is on or off.I talked to the guy i bought it from about this and he said he replaced the fuel filter,plugs ,wires,cap,rotor,and even cleaned the injecters.So i don't really know what else obvious to check could someone point me to the next thing and tell me what to do next? If my hair was long enough i think i would have pulled it all out by now!!!!!!!! thank you in advance for you help

Old August 17th, 2008, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 87 350 missing and running rough

Check the timeing and make shure thats right first.Then check all the plug wires and make shur none of them are touching anywhere that could cause a short. After that things can get harder. Like making shure that none of the injecters are bad or making shur that the timming chain didn't jump.
Old August 21st, 2008, 8:38 PM
CF Beginner

I checked the timing and the distributor was off 1 tooth so i located tdc and moved the distributor and cleaned the cap checked all the wires.checked the timing with a light and it runs at 4 degrees before tdc.It is running better but still acting up some.Once it gets to operating temp. it acts sluggish of the line.If you give it more gas it will get on up and go it's just not a smooth acceleration and even at driveing speed it still seems to have a small miss in it somewhere i just can't seem to put my finger on it.I'm gonna change the fuel filter tomorrow. I looked at the pickup coil and it has some rust and corrosion on it but i don't know if that would have an effect on it or not.My cousin says that a pickup coil either works or not no inbetween.hell i don't know where to look. This could get expensive
Old August 22nd, 2008, 1:02 AM
CF Beginner

Rust could cause it not to make contacted. Also make shure that the air inlet is clean, and no gum has build up around anything. A stumble a take of sometime means to much fuel and not enough spark. Check if any of the injectors are leaking staight into the ports.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Whenyou say too much fuel and not enough spark do you mean not hot enough?What about a hotter coil or hotter plugs?my cousin did mention that to.
Old August 25th, 2008, 4:26 PM
CF Active Member

Since he's got new plugs in it, check them to see if they are fouled, sometimes too much fuel you'll be able to tell by looking at the spark plugs.

You say it gets sluggish once it's up to operating temp. During warm-up, thefuel system doesn't use the 02 sensor, but once it's at operating temp, it does, have you checked it or are you not getting an engine code?

I don't know what your motor calls for, but I would thinkthe timingwould need to be at around 8 degrees advance. But that might not matter...
Old August 25th, 2008, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 87 350 missing and running rough problem solved(i hope)

Found a cracked spark plug and a wire that was just barly touching the header.also the plugs were gapped wrong.So i regapped the plugs put on a new set of wires,changed 2 leaking header gaskets and all seems to be well.thank you guys very much.
Old October 24th, 2008, 1:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 87 350 missing and running rough problem solved(i hope)

Sorry it took so long for me to back .but I'm glad to hear you got it fixed