Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ABS/Red "!" brake light on

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ABS/Red "!" brake light on

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L V8. I lifted my truck and had no problems running 35” tires. I recently had my truck regeared to a numerically higher ratio out of stock ranges, 4.56. After doing this, the speedo was off and the ABS light/red ”!” brake light was on. I assumed this was b/c the gear swap I’m sure this is a common problem and I wanted to know what suggestions you guys can offer. No one has been able to point me in the right direction and its getting frustrating.

As soon as the lights came on, I took the truck to the dealership. They read the code and said it was a programming issue. They said there was nothing they could do as it was out of stock specs which end at 4.10. I think they are full of crap. Any thoughts?

Any assistance you could provide would be appreciated!
Old May 5th, 2009, 8:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it make noises when turning? Does antilock brakes come on randomly? Mine was on because of a bad hub assembly if it is not making noises or causing problems what are you worried about? By the way i have the same set up 4:56 gears 35s To fix the speedo you have to by a new speedo gear
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

Well, it has came on randomly and scared the crap out of me. I had to basically stand up on the pedal to get the vehicle to stop. I don't hear any noises when I turn. Both the lights are off initially but after I get up and going they come on and stay lit. I had my hubs checked out and all of the ABS components are in good shape. It's pissin me off b/c I've put so much money into this thing and have never had a problem with anything major. I don't want it to start now.
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When mine came on I just pulled the fuse its no big deal man!! And dont get me started on money i have dumped enough money in my 95 to almost get a 2009!!
Old May 6th, 2009, 5:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, it's because of your gear change. I was lucky because when I made my change, the PCM could handle going from 410s to 342s.

Ask Nelson Tune or BlackBear if they can make you a chip which will handle it.

Once you get your PCM chip replaced,with the new gear parameters, your speedometer will be fine too. The PCM handles that and the ABS sensors automatically.

Meanwhile use a traffic radar or GPS unit to gauge your speed. For the time being, don't worry about your ABS too much, it's going to lite up at highway speeds until you fix it.

Last edited by therewolf; May 6th, 2009 at 5:31 PM.
Old May 6th, 2009, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

It's funny, I've posed the exact same question on about 6 different forums. I get different answers on each one. Atleast I have a wide base of troubleshooting procedures to try.

I have a Hypertech HyperPAC that allows me to flash 35s and 4.56s. I'm curious as to why that isn't working. Before the gear swap, I was running 35s and I had those programmed and had no issues with the speedo or the brakes. After the gear swap, now I'm getting the issue.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 2:59 AM
CF Beginner

Disco69 the dealer is not feeding you a line of crap. I just changed my gears from 3.23 to 4.10 and put the 20" SS wheels and tires on my 05 Silverado 2wd. I took it to my local Chevy dealer where in my opinion the best mechanic in the world works he has worked on my stuff for years and giving me many nice unknown tips. He was expecting me. He had to call somone at GM to get there program codes. When they ran my vin number they said NO, that truck was not offered from the factory with 4.10 gears and they could not do it. Federal Emissions!!! The lowest gear they said they could do was 3.90 gears because that was an option on the 1/2 ton for that year. If it was a 3/4 ton or 1 ton no problem but the 1/2 no. I ask him about he SS, but the AWD ones had 4.10 gears the 2wd ones had 3.90. He told me the only option was to buy an aftermarket programmer. The best on out there right now it called, "The Predator." so i guess i will pony up the 370 dollars to finish this gear change. Also my change made the speedo off 11 mph. According to my GPS when i am doing 80 the speedo reads 91mph, my mechanic said it would not hurt it to drive it with the warning lights on and everything on my works just fine. Hope this helps you. Remo

Last edited by Remowil55; July 2nd, 2009 at 3:04 AM. Reason: to add some more
Old July 3rd, 2009, 7:21 AM
CF Active Member

and i been trying to sell my predator for months.....
easy to change gear / tire size with it
Old July 3rd, 2009, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

Believe it or not, the dealer may be right. For lack of a better term, it is called "setting the pinnion factor". Your vehicle has ABS sensors on the hub. The computer does not know that everything is fine, it only knows the wheel speed sensor is "out of specs" according to the original factory pre-sets.