Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

adding factory blue tooth? help!!

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2012, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ericnottelin
Well i spoke with another silverado owner who purchased the plug and play after market blue tooth option (BlueFusion). He said it absolutely sucked and to not waist my money. These kits have you mount a remote mike on the windshield. He said he moved his everywhere trying to get the sound better. But the people he was talking to could never hear him. So this is a bust.

The problem with this upgrade is it involve reprogramming and tricking your truck into thinking it is newer than what it is. There have been guys that have installed all the parts and have to hunt around from dealer to dealer to find a technician that can do it. In addition, you need a vin number from said newer truck to use. And the vin has to be similar in features as yours otherwise, you may loose some other features when they do the reprogramming. Also if the radio is for a 2010 and the other components are from other years, you may have an issue. Not sure why this is. Just what I have read from other posts.

I was thinking of installing an aftermarket radio. They have kits that allow you to use the steering wheel buttons. But as I have discovered, unless you spend a boat load of $$$ for a high end unit, the audio quality for when you speak is poor and u end up using your phone anyway.

So in the end, after all the research, I've decided to just plug my phone into the audio jack and use it as a speaker phone and listening to my conversations via the radio speakers. Not the greatest thing in the world but much cheaper than the alternatives.

The only reprograming you need is if you are trying to retain the onstar functionality. If you don't care about onstar then the only thing you need to make this work is take out the old vim and replace it with the one that you bought, plug an play and no programming required.
Old November 11th, 2012, 7:06 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK
The only reprograming you need is if you are trying to retain the onstar functionality. If you don't care about onstar then the only thing you need to make this work is take out the old vim and replace it with the one that you bought, plug an play and no programming required.

Black, have you done this mod? Most research I have seen says that if you don't do the programming, you don't have the ability to speak to dial and no steering wheel controls. Any specific input you have would be invaluable.
Old November 12th, 2012, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Hi Eric - yes this is the first thing I did when I bought my 2008 LTZ. It was a direct swap, took out the old vcim and put in the new one. Like I said before everything works fine Bluetooth wise, voice commands work, steering wheel buttons work. The only thing you will loose is onstar. When I did this mod I read somewere that if you go to the dealer they can reprogram onstar if u want. I'm not interested in the feature so I didn't care. But is is a direct swap for the blue tooth. It cOst me $250 for the new vcim and I couldn't be happier
Old November 18th, 2012, 9:01 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks BlkonBLk. I kept looking into doing the up grade. However, I noticed that my stock nav sucked. It kept taking me the long way. I looked into getting a newer nav cd but everyone said that it really wouldn't fix it.

So, instead of spending the money on the new nav Cd ($100),a new VCM ($250 - assuming no problems arise), oh I needed a back up camera to make hooking up to the camper easier ($150 ish). I decided to try aftermarket. My local stereo shop hook me up with a pioneer AVIC 940BT. It has nav (which is much better than the GM system. The Blue tooth is awesome. Phone conversations are great and perfectly clear on both ends. Unlike the VCM update, the pioneer allowed me to download my contacts so I can do everything from the radio without touching my phone. Additionally, this radio will control my phones music apps. So, Pandora and my media player are completely controllable via the blue tooth connection. I can change albums, songs, and even Pandora stations all from the radio.

The stereo shop also hooked up my steering wheel controls (for the cost of a adapter cable. They work great!!!

This radio has a micro SD slot where I can install my music and play it from there.

I also had a rear view camera added. A must for repeated hookup to a camper. This radio not only automatically turns on the camera when I am in reverse. But, there is setting where I can constantly watch the rear camera if I want to monitor the camper. And when backing up, the video is displayed on the radios 6.2" screen (the in motion view is displayed on a split screen with the nav).

OH did I mention, I can operate ALL the functions while the truck is in motion. No more having to stop just to change a nav location or try and add a way point. God that was so frustrating.

So, I decided to spend a little extra on the radio. Ok, Alot extra (Radio, GM needed adapter for the computer, wiring harness, steering wheel controller adapter, and rear view camera) was was $ 1200.00 total cost. But I figure I can take this radio and put in any truck I want. The added options vs what limited options I would have had with the VCM option are well worth it to me. Especially while towing a 8k camper. It is much safer to deal with the car stereo, via the steering wheel controls, vs having to mess with my phone all the time.

I hope this is helpful.

Eric
Old November 19th, 2012, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

glad to hear that you have it worked out 1200 is not much for everything you got.i might do that on my next truck.
Old November 19th, 2012, 8:34 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the post. I was kinda on the fence about the value. But after I got it, I have fallen in love with all the options.

Thanks again BlkonBlk