Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

flowmaster 40 or 50 HEEEELLPPP

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2008, 1:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default flowmaster 40 or 50 HEEEELLPPP

I have a 01 Silverado 5.3 with a Flowmaster Delta 50 single in dual out on it. I love it but it is a little to quiet for me. I am thinking of changing ot a 40 series.
Problem is I have a DVD system for my 2 year old daughter that she loves to watch and I dont want it to be to loud on the inside if I change to the 40.
If anyone has made a change like this or has driven in two trucks with 40's and 50's that could shed some light on the difference I would appreciate it- thanks guys.
Old January 29th, 2008, 5:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: flowmaster 40 or 50 HEEEELLPPP

for the life of me i have always gone with flowmaster.....i have personally gone throu this problem with my 04 5.3..... i have ahd the 50's and wanted more....so i went with the 40.....the 40 sounds awesome....but on long rides it gets annoying...interrior noise is great..as far as the dvd system.....stick with the 50.....i believe the 40 is much to loud
Old February 5th, 2008, 2:20 PM
CF Active Member

um i have an 06 single cab 5.3 with a super 40 and its not too loud inside... i guess that why they made a volume button to turn it up lol... on soft excelleration the noise inside goes down alot but when i stomp it, it gets pretty loud inside... im only 20 with no kids so it doesnt bother me none... but i think u should just stick with the 50 unless u want to just drive around with a light foot with the kid in the car to keep the exhaust noise down.
Old February 5th, 2008, 9:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Yeah, I agree with you, the 50 is no good. I had a regular 40 on my 5.4 liter ford with duals and the interior noise wasnt bad at all. Now that I have my Chevy, I have the smaller 4.8 liter or something like that, anyway, I have the Super 40 with turn downs and it has quite alot of interior noise, not sure if it would be much less if it had duals out the back or not. I do know according to flowmaster that the Super 40 is louder than the regular 40, so I would say if you got the regular 40 and put duals on it out the back, you shouldnt have a problem.
Old February 6th, 2008, 1:27 PM
CF Senior Member

thanks guys- i went and swapped the 50 to a 40 and it sounds much much better, maybe a little louder on the inside but not a problem, i mean i wante to hear it and now i can - seems just right
Old February 6th, 2008, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

Think about how your exhuast is going to end. are you going to put it straight out the back or 90 it after the back tire. or 45 degree angle after the back tire helps reduce the sound and doesnt look bad.
Old February 19th, 2008, 6:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Wow i am also thinking this over as i have just had this done.
Now with the tatse of the wonderful sound i want more and louder!!!HAHAHA.Oh how i wish i could have tried both first but i have one good thing in my favor,My dad loves my muffler sound so i will give him the SUV-50 and am going for the super 40 myself......HURRY TAX RETURN GET HERE QUICK
Old February 19th, 2008, 1:09 PM
CF Senior Member

ha thats so funny your gonna do the same thing i did and my friend put my old 50 on his truck like your dad is gonna- thats the problem once you get used to the sound you want to hear it more
Old February 19th, 2008, 6:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Ehget:you are exactly right i now must have the sound,GROWL
And now i know how fast i'm going without looking at the speedo!!!
Well anyway let me tell you the sound addictive day i had at the muffler shop....
First i had the super 40 put on.....left the shop and returned within 5 minuites,(was only loud when you tread on it 1500 rpms or more and not a bit when you let of the gas...
So had it cut off[]
Second went with the old style 40 series 2 chamber,(equivelent to the now super 44) love it nice sound and a low rumble at low rpm,s and crusing speeds but hit it and wow!!!!
So i will keep this ........BUT heard a truck like mine at the shop with a 1 chamber bomb and it rumbled loud at idle and as it left BOOOM BBBOM so i think not.
Gotta stop at some point and say enough Me like the 2 chamber

So will put the 50 on Dad's truck but if anyone wants a super 40 driven 1 mile and cut off let me know i will make you an excellent offer!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:24 PM
CF Senior Member

MCGuiness- you're a nutjob!!! LOL I know how you feel, I was gonna do the 40 Delta but the guy at the shop told me he does not stock it - to whimpy that is why he only has the original 40 so I said do it and I'm glad I did. I love driving slow like when you are coming up to your house, it has a nice low rumble that you can really hear but it does not blow your neighbors windows out at 2 in the morning like a 1 chamber. Too bad you had to buy three mufflers to get it right- ahh put the other one on your wifes car or your lawnmowerha ha.

Quick Reply: flowmaster 40 or 50 HEEEELLPPP