Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

help with injector volume bench test

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2014, 9:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help with injector volume bench test

I have CSFI setup. (central sequential fuel injection). i'm trying to bench test 1 injector.

after intake manifold job, cleaning (avoided injectors), one "delicate" injector no longer working. (maybe some carb cleaner let some gum clog it, though i avoided that)

injector ohms good just like rest, i assume i need to clean it out, there are youtube videos on that.

I'm trying to clean injectors and test (spray, possibly volume)

my benchtest failed on a known good injector: so i can't expect to see if the bad one is working either

(I connect 1.5V or 3V bat to injector, shop air to fuel tube that is in injector body, should spray some gas/cleaner out of injector with V applied)

I can't find specs on what voltage to supply to injector terminals (or how many amps will be needed). I also can't find diagram saying which pin is positive per injector (not symmetrical - has odd shared ground mixup and wire colors aren't to be trusted)

(however, i had a leaky fuel regulator so the psi supplied was only say 15psi - i'm trying that again (i need to reinstall the regulator, it wont go in the way it came off, must screen & grommet out) to get seated right)

anyone ever bench tested injectors (in body or out of) successfully ?

i'm testing injector in the body because i'm afraid the dainty plastic body will break

injector (as usual) is stuck in their - GM left no way for me to pry it out or push it out w/o risking damage to body or tube that i can see - just 1/8" smooth cyl that is definitely not enough to work out an old injector

anybody know "the trick" for removing old injectors from this dainty plastic body w/o breaking body and (hopefully) not damaging injector ? Edit/Delete Message
Old August 22nd, 2014, 4:46 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I have only cleaned injectors in a similar fashion as you are doing however I believe the activation voltage is 12v and you will need to pulse the voltage to get the injector to work like it does when in the vehicle...
I would suggest putting a meter on the connector for the injector and turning the vehicle on and see what the voltage applied is...
Old August 22nd, 2014, 5:33 PM
CF Active Member

AH if i key on to test connector i have to find the connector to disable the fuel pump or it'll dump fuel. i don't know where it is i was avoiding that. also w/o an assistant to turn key while i'm holding leads i still won't see the V applied. your right thought that's a good way.

> I believe the activation voltage is 12v

thank you kindly. i've heard different stories different cars: 1.5V, [1-7]V but not over, and 12V but that 12V from car batt could damage

i need to know the real spec from someone who's had a success with the same silverado/s10/4.3L injectors

i just got a fuel regulator in and about to try again

i assume 1.5V is low acceleration and [7.5-12]V is wide open

it's the quality and duration of power supply that "worries me" as to whether i'll get enough gas through at a reasonable psi to clean, whether i'm bound to blow out my new pressure reg (by testing in body using shop air), and if the injector coil won't burn up

you see. someoen who's been there done that same injector and had it running a while since

hey thank you very much for your input !

Last edited by silverado 1500 2001; August 22nd, 2014 at 5:41 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 5:35 PM
CF Active Member

OH I FORGOT. how did you get the injector out of the body? (or did you - many test "whole rail" at once)

on cars i use to work on they came out mostly w/o rist of breakage (and if coming out one has a valid excuse to replace on occasion it does break, i'd say)

i just won't try it on a plastic body because i know there's a trick to it and what i don't knwo will hurt me

Last edited by silverado 1500 2001; August 22nd, 2014 at 5:38 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 2:25 PM
CF Active Member

i find GM has really done truck ownerns a favor here (see SUMMARY)

I found 12V DC 300mA or 9V AC 300mA work injector (i'd like more accurate info on amps, volage, and pulse modulation!). ac makes an audible buzz, 12v hardly a click. injectors ohm the same before / after hookup and testing. i wouldn't leave them on longer than for testing they do warm up.

--------------------- I found 2 tricks. AFTER i decided to order a $250 kit (after unit was expendable) (dumping any money into the unit, even $50, does not make sense)

found trick for removing these injectors. my bad eyes, 1/8" wrong, didn't see seal. pry cap off. like many there is a seal to take out (bad eyes i thought it was plastic), spray with penetrant and use a (not sharp) hook to get seal out: then there's 1/4" to grab easy. but with these inj even use penetrant both ends and either use straight pick to push out (theres a small hole) OR after rocking it loose, pull on tube hard and slow (maybe even leave seal in just pull). (note technically need a seal kit, old seals expand "no good")

BUT I STILL NEED trick ? ! need to remove tubes ? they are clogged not injector (usually). far as i see they come pre-installed new and if removed there's no sure way to know if they will hold at 60+psi for extended period. (ie, factory may force on and apply correct heat for plastic to "form it on"). if tube did "pop off" on the road: it might dump 60psi fuel into a cylinder, hydrolock the engine - AND LITERALLY CRACK THE BLOCK (might throw rode through block) - and maybe cause a death / accident. but maybe not since it's on other side of injector. but what about that old fuel regulator? it can dump fuel when it's rtv 75psi "pressure membrane" disintegrates (confirmed happened to some people): it's cloth embedded with rtv it's not rock solid - they disintegrate. youtube shows how to clear the tube.

SUMMARY: new regulator $50, new seals $40, injectors $50 + $xx? shop supplies: $150+. a new kit is $250 - spending any money fixing an old unit likely will be wasted when it breaks again down the road, and the new kit will get better gas mileage hands down! some car models inj are $400 EACH: but GM has really done truck ownerns a favor here.

SUMMARY: I rebuilt the regulator (other article) and got all injectors working for a cost of $shop supplies: but new one is on the way. I think I put the new one

Putting any money into the old spider is a waste of time and money: it will cost on fuel (allot $ these days) and might cause engine failures later or more repairs GM has really done truck ownerns a favor here using a cheap setup (body, 6 inj, regulator, seals, all in kit!) that one can drop in (very little work) for less than the cost some car makers charge for a single injector. (also, new kit is even easier to repair if it does ever need it, also think: if you decide you know $40 will fix it - the fragile old inj system might get another problem while you uninstall/reinstall it)

But it's not $40. Your fuel regulator (100k, 150k) is bad trust me. It's over $100 ($130 w/seals) just to get started for 1 injector to repair old spider. Not worth it.

Last edited by silverado 1500 2001; August 23rd, 2014 at 9:53 PM.
Old August 24th, 2014, 9:23 AM
CF Active Member

update. rethink

i had 1 inj not working (usu. the tube clogged inj is ok). ok clean the tube? poppet at end look different color after cleaning all poppet tube ends. after removing tube (see above if this is "wise"). i cleaned just tube part (inj was good, spider tube is what "clogs")

but i couldn't get the tube to blow for nothing

finally i use rust penetrant and a wire down tube to gently "tap" (not scratch) ball, and tapped other side (note: like ball point pen, do not crush it!) with 120 psi, tapping, rust penetrant it cleared and sprayed

LESSON: w/o flow this poppet tube can get rust. i'm afraid once that happens it's likely to happen again (once rust has set in...) so again, even though i have a fully operational unit, more for learning/experience purposes. i'm not going to gain anything putting it back in. i let it set a month rust will be back and i'll have 1 cyl w/weak or clogged inj again

SUMMARY: maybe varnish clogs them. but they RUST (after clogging?) once rust sets in, it pits and is never really gone and waiting to dominate again. poppet needs replacement not cleaning (comes w/injector not separate), and as discussed above: $250 kit is the much better alternative and easier
Old August 24th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The ones I did was on a Dodge Mini van and I did them individually with a small 12vdc power supply, but after reading your post the 9vac sounds like a great idea as it will pulse the injector for you
Old August 24th, 2014, 2:59 PM
CF Active Member

see also:

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...working-67564/