Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

i gotta problem

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2006, 4:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i gotta problem

ok, i have a 94' chevy silverado 1500 with a 4.3 v6. what my truck is doing is that it is stalling slightly as i am accelerating from a stop. it is very strange, the engine does not shut off completely, it only jerks, and it only does this in first gear and also when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. sometimes it will only do it once in first gear and sometimes it will do it many times as i am accelerating. it is never consistant, sometimes my truck runs perfectly fine, but then other times it runs like a ford. but every time it stalls it always makes a very distinct click sound. i have talked about it with some of my friends. one of my friends thinks it could be an electrical problem, but one of my other friends thinks it could be a fuel problem, that i might have a faulty fuel pump. i am not sure about the fuel pump though because i just had the fuel pump replaced in the spring. i also replaced the fuel filter and it did nothing to fix my problem. i have no idea what is wrong.
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:56 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: i gotta problem

I replaced the fuel pump on My '96 Tahoe and got a bad NEW pump. So, don't discoynt the fuel pump just because You replaced it. Have the Fuel Pressure checked and don't forget about the Pressure Regulator.
Old September 19th, 2006, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

thanks, now i am some what of a novice when it comes to working on my truck. so how would i check my fuel pressure regulator? what kind of tools would i need?
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

Have you noticed if it runs worse when warmed up?

I had a similar problem on a '95 5.7 liter with 140,000 on the odometer. I've narrowed it down to the catalytic converter. Even though it wasn't completely plugged, it seemed to affect the EGR enough to cause driveability problems. I was having exhaust manifold temps in the 800 degF range.

I put a new cat on but currently have some exhaust leaks at the exhaust header connections. It seems to have cured the problem I was having. I will know more when I get it put together correctly and have a chance to run it awhile.

For your truck, I would get the fuel pump and regulator checked first (if you don't have some tools, a pressure gage and some adapters it is probably easier to take to a local shop). Then have the cat checked. I don't recommend doing the cat yourself. I tried it and it was more headache and cost than I expected. I would recommend taking it to a local muffler shop and having it replaced with a universal fit. I know I won't do it myself again.

Good Luck
Old September 20th, 2006, 4:25 AM
CF Beginner

actually the problem does get worse when the engine gets warm. because when i first start my truck and drive it, it is perfectly fine, but after i drive it awhile thats when it happens. but then after i have been driving for a long time (like on the freeway) it will stop doing it. so i will definitely get the cat checked.
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

It's a tricky problem to solve. I had an '01 Sunfire that turned out to be the fuel pump. When warm, it would die completely when ya got on it. Took several minutes to an hour to start again.

My Z-71 seems to be the cat. It never stalled but just wouldn't go and all kinds of eratic symptoms.

chevyblues