Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

just need some direction

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2014, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just need some direction

hello,
I'm new to this forum and to the chevy SILVERADO world. I own a 2003 silverado 1500(not HD) 4X4 drive 5.3 and got it for pretty cheap due to it needed some work. I did plenty of suspension work and some engine work. truck has about 190k. after doing the work and getting the truck to be nice and quit, now i have a noise when it shifts into second gear and only in that gear. its a clunk/ thump noise but very quit which is why i didn't hear it before the lose front end. it comes from the transfer case/ transmission area. I pulled the transfer case apart and cleaned it up while replacing the pump cuz it was putting a grove into the rear of the transfer case and thought maybe that's what the noise was but after putting everything together and driving it the noise was still there. While driving in third and i get on the throttle and it shifts down its a pretty loud noise but it just does it in that gear cuz in freeway speeds it has no noise down shifting, it's only around second gear. my question is-- is it time for a new transmission or did i miss something while in the transfer case? person i bought it said that the tranny was rebuild and it does look brand new. very very clean. any help is very much appreciated
Old August 24th, 2014, 5:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you look over those U-joints? Check the backlash on the rear end?

Allan
Old August 25th, 2014, 12:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Allan, replace those U-joints. They are cheap and it sounds like a U-Joint by the description. Usually it happens in only a single gear (usually reverse but not all ways) until they are totally toast.
Old August 25th, 2014, 9:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

silverado? has it had it's lower intake manifold gasket replaced yet? if it hasn't do it, and consider it may be a good time for a drop in injector kit while your at it (your regulator likely is leaking anyway). see "mystery coolant leak" articles. but don't wait for it to become a before doing the job, is my ad to that. not that the car has problems every car has specific issues. had mine years no problems but the above "well known" one