Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

living on a budget

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2009, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default living on a budget

got 2000 chevy stepside silverado what can i do and what is the best way to lower my chevy and not break my wallet.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, there's best and cheapest contraceptive in the world. it's a glass of water. you might ask - do I take it before, or after sex? no, instead of sex.
you could do same for your project. just have a glass of water.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

ukrkoz, lets give solid info, not dissuasion.
Cheapest would be spindles and shackles. That won't get you but an inch or 2. If you are looking for a good drop, look into shocks and springs all the way around. If its a 4x4, screw the idea altogether. You'll never do that on a tight budget. The torsion bars will be your main enemy.
Old March 25th, 2009, 4:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, lowering a 4WD would be like putting a lift kit on an Indy 500 racer. It's possible, but you'll look for a fair piece before you find someone who would recommend it.

What's the purpose you have in mind for lowering the truck?(Rhetorical question) Would a skirt or ground-effect system just be more cost-effective?

The best thing would be to talk to someone who has a truck lowered the way you like it, and ask them how they did it. People love talking about how they modded their truck, usually. It would probably be a bad idea to take any short cuts with your suspension,though.
Old March 25th, 2009, 8:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

There is not purpose for lowering other than aesthetics.
Hence the reason I lowered my Blazer, but then again I have a Silverado to satisfy my offroad needs (or should I say urges!).
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
There is not purpose for lowering other than aesthetics.
Hence the reason I lowered my Blazer, but then again I have a Silverado to satisfy my offroad needs (or should I say urges!).
ON THE CONTRARY!!! I'm looking to lower my truck also, and its not to be cool. I have a 480lb motorcycle that i use my truck to transport it to the track. and pushing said motorcycle up a ramp thats over 3 feet off the ground is NOT EASY Nor FUN. Dang near pulled a quad.
not to mention, you may gain a "little MPG"<--( in Quotations) with a more aerodynamic stance...
I actually bought my truck to Satisfy my Track Day Urges... so i know how you feel.
Trucks arent just off road toys.. they are utility vehicles for carrying. if i could afford a off road vehicle. i'd get a blazer or a ... uh Jeep. not a pickup. because once you raise a pick-up, any loading and unloading of the bed become impossible.

just my 2 c.

V/R Jeff
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:19 PM
CF Active Member

I know what you mean about loading that motorcycle into the back of a truck. I've been thinking of just buying a trailer. Can't have a low truck. My job and tastes <-- (that word looks weird) won't allow it.
Old April 10th, 2009, 7:40 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=11

I know this is the cheapest lowering kit I have found so far, and I think you may be able to fabricate something similar even cheaper than that, but read the reviews, I haven't read a single bad one on it so...