Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

looks like kregan/shucks/checkers/O'Rielly is buying me a new engine. I hope.

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2009, 12:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation looks like kregan/shucks/checkers/O'Rielly is buying me a new engine. I hope.

So on Saturday I got the oil and filter to do an oil change in my 89, first one I have done on it sense I bought it in Feb. I've only put about 200 miles on it. I noticed when I pulled the filter, it was about an inch or so longer than the one Kragen sold me, I didn't think any thing of it, until I got the job done and started the truck. let it warm up for a bit and checked the oil level. right on the money. now the problem. when I backed the truck off the ramps, I spun a barring, at least that's what it sounds like. there were no metal shavings in the old oil. filtered it to make sure. I'm afraid to drain the "new" oil before I get in contact with CKS/O'Rielly corperate. Has anyone heard of an incorrect oilfilter causing this? the part number they list for the 5.7L online Penzoil pz45 is the part they sold me.
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Dang. that super-sucks.
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:26 AM
CF Junior Member

believe me I know It sucks. this is my only ride to my VA doc. apointment on Wednesday that I have been fighting for 4 years to get. It took every ounce of self control I have in my body ( not that I have a whole lot) not to drag the guy at the store over the counter(by the way, I've known him for about 3 years now). so have you ever heard of a filter causing this?
Old March 31st, 2009, 5:17 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

I'll ask my Gpa, he's a retired GM tech
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:47 AM
CF Junior Member

calling corporate in a few, wish me luck...
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:49 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know i must say... for teh 5.7's i know the fram filter id is ph5, or tg5, or xg5. mobil one filter is m1-302, now personally i switched from fram tg5 to mobil and the mobil one is much larger by far. its about .25 quarts bigger. as for penzoil i cannot think off the top of my head what the number is. but you can even use a 3980 fram filter. my thoughts are the threads on different filters are different. it helps with the mixing of filters. i cant put a ph16 filter on your truck because the depth of the threads, how the threads are and the size of teh threads. if they sold you an incorrect filter, its going to have troubles going on the threads. now they could have gave you a dead filter where even teh bypass valves are dead. if that happened then you can call penzoil and tell them and so on... if they gave you a filter that fit on the threads and was smaller and starved your motor. then yes they are at fault. what was your pressure at?

see working at a place like jiffy lube really teaches you some things. its a shame that the people that run the place and work there have not one clue on work ethics or how to work on a car. yes i feel ashamed to work there... but its also funding my truck project so eh... hope this helps and i really hope that they sold you the wrong filter so you can get that fixed. best of luck to you.
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:35 PM
CF Junior Member

cam, thanks for the words of advise. penzoil's part number is correct. oil pressure lastnight after I changed the oil was 0. check gauges light came on and than the rattle. this morning I dropped off the old lady at work, came home started the truck and low and behold, rattle now is muted, sounds more like a valve tap now, oil pressure is up again, light is out, and the truck is running ok. I'm stumped.
oh and by the way, corporate told me to talk to the store manager, the same one that told me to call corporate. so I went down there and he basically told me corporate would deny the claim because they sold me the part that is listed for my truck. they didn't install it, and its a high mileage truck. I think im just about done doing business with cks/O'reilly.

Last edited by treadhead; March 31st, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old March 31st, 2009, 7:19 PM
CF Active Member

Break into the place at night. Steal $2500 worth. Burn the place to the ground. Get your stapler. By the way....Friday is Hawaiian shirt day.
Old April 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey i went to work and i checked every part number that would fit on the truck and yeah every one matched oreilly's site. and if you said the pressure was at zip then goes back up and only has a valve train tick (like mine) (im replacing rockers/pushrods in a month) it seems that just maybe theres a blockage issue. if it happens again, pressure drop that is, i would get a wix filter and install it. and if/when you remove the filter only, u dont have to drain the whole thing. just spin the filter off and spin a new one on. and run the truck and check the oil and add what came out the filter. but that is strange how it goes from dead pressure to great pressure.
Old April 1st, 2009, 7:34 PM
CF Junior Member

went from no pressure to holding at 30 or so, goes up to 70 or 80 when I give it throttle than comes back down. I'm beginning to wonder if i have bad rings or a blown head gasket...anyone want to buy a truck. ??